Need advice.. is this fox proof wire?

Ashlee peta

In the Brooder
Oct 18, 2020
Hi guys,
I’m currently looking at a few different options for a duck pen/chicken coop, and have been looking at some enclosures online (photo attached) however after reading a few blogs/websites about what wire is best to use for predator protection, I’m not feeling confident that this will hold up?
Any advice would be appreciated. Is there a general rule for what I need to be looking at as a minimum strength/size with the wire.
foxes and feral cats would be the main predators we would be needing protection against.
thanking you in advance!

the sales listing description of materials;
  • Heavy Duty 1mm Thick Steel Tube
  • 210D Waterproof UV Treated Roof
  • 32mm Diameter Galvanized Steel Tube
  • Gridded Powder Coated 1mm Wire Mesh
  • Suitable For General Pets Such As Cats Rabbits Dogs Ducks Etc

Attachments

• BF4655BA-5864-471E-ACE0-5426546D5B45.jpeg
    BF4655BA-5864-471E-ACE0-5426546D5B45.jpeg
    185.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 68B2E427-4EB7-405D-9B0B-75651EA0AE9D.jpeg
    68B2E427-4EB7-405D-9B0B-75651EA0AE9D.jpeg
    204.4 KB · Views: 14
That looks similar to normal chicken wire, just a different color. Chicken wire has a lot of stretch to it and can easily be torn/manipulated by predators. Hardware cloth is the only way to go if you are looking for something that's going to keep predators out.
That’s what I was worried about, I just included the materials description in my original post for the type of wire they stipulate, but it does look flimsy and I know I’ve been surprised by what friends have said foxes are capable of...

Thank you for that. I’ll have to look at hardware cloth as I haven’t really heard of it. Thanks again!

That’s what I was worried about, I just included the materials description in my original post for the type of wire they stipulate, but it does look flimsy and I know I’ve been surprised by what friends have said foxes are capable of...

Thank you for that. I’ll have to look at hardware cloth as I haven’t really heard of it. Thanks again!
Just warning you, it is expensive but totally worth it!

I would only trust that wire to keep chicken IN not to keep anything out.

Suitable for dogs?!? 🤭🤔 Well MAYBE a toothless elderly tiny dog.....certainly not my dogs. 🙄
Hahaha that was my thoughts also.. like the actual frame is good but looking at the photos of the mesh I did hesitate.. we also have a German shepherd who I think is itching to get a taste of duck so we definitely need something to hold up!

Can foxes chew through chicken wire? In my experience they haven't but I guess it's possible if they are hungry enough.

Hardware cloth is certainly good stuff.

From my perspective, if they can't chew through chicken wire, I think it would work fine. The main problem I've had is not securing the edges/corners well. I suggest getting some wire roll and some wire cutters..... go around all edges and corners and literally sewing in pretty much every section and/or securing with staples and a good staple gun.

I had a fox get through about a six inch space, which it appeared to have pulled back enough, then slid under...... It got one of my best laying hens.

I put a trail cam out the next night, and fixed the corner, and lo and behold the pictures the next morning were that of a Texas grey fox, which I knew we had back by the creek.

Just warning you, it is expensive but totally worth it!
Yesssss that’s been the one thing that’s been holding me back on committing to anything as I have been trying to get out of it fairly cheap 😂 but it definitely looks like I am going to have to invest in it so it lasts!
need to keep the babies safe haha

Yesssss that’s been the one thing that’s been holding me back on committing to anything as I have been trying to get out of it fairly cheap 😂 but it definitely looks like I am going to have to invest in it so it lasts!
need to keep the babies safe haha
Absolutely! It's a great investment, and if it'll keep the girls safe, then doubly so!

Back
Top Bottom