Need advice! male or female!?

When raising Cornish giants.

What do you find are the advantages and dis-advantages of raising just Pullets, or raising just cockerels?

I have been doing meat birds (Cornish cross giants) for a few years now. I run around 800 per season. I have always done just a straight pull.

I'm looking into just one sex, but I just can't decide which one. I find cockerels finish much faster but they don't have the fat content like a hen (I do all natural chickens) so the fat is delicious. On the the other hand, hens finish later and tend to carry more carcass weight, and have an amazing fat content, which is what you want in a natural chicken. All my birds are already sold, so it's the choice of shortening my season (more time for fishing and hunting) or having a longer season which means heavier birds and more money. Not much more money tho, after feed conversion is done.

I'm torn between the two, I need some more comparisons.

Thanks!!!!

Last edited:
The fishing and hunting comment has me thinking cockerels
lol.png

The answer is really a matter of your client's choice. Do they prefer one over the other? How much longer is the grow-out for the cockerals?
Work before play, until your retired. The fish will also benefit with a longer grow-out, for then they will be BIGGER TOO! :>)

The answer is really a matter of your client's choice. Do they prefer one over the other? How much longer is the grow-out for the cockerals?
Work before play, until your retired. The fish will also benefit with a longer grow-out, for then they will be BIGGER TOO! :>)

The fish will be caught by everyone else!

As an actual response though...I too am a sucker for the fat content in hens
thumbsup.gif
probably the way I'd do it but I've never done more than 150. 800 is quite the operation

Our clientele is kind of a mixed bunch, most of the time they get what they get. Never had any complaints.

I guess I can't really call it work, I enjoy it to much to be work lol!
all in all, more than likely in the end, my wife will make the decision for me :p

Back
Top Bottom