Need advice on a sick hen

Rosy10

In the Brooder
Sep 25, 2018
Hi everyone! I'm new to having backyard hens. I need some helpful advice. I have a hen who has been acting lethargic for the last 3 days. She is not scratching or pecking. She just kind of stands around with her tail kind of pointed down. I have her separated from the rest.
On Saturday I noticed her just standing around alot with her eyes closed, not pecking, eating or drinking. She had super mucosy poops with just a bit of white. I gave her a siringe of electrolytes and she took some treats from my hand.
Sunday, on the advice of a friend who has had chickens for years, I started her on antibiotics. She took some (not a lot) food that evening and took some water from a siringe. Her poops were very watery clear liquid with a dense dark green lump of solid matter.
Monday much the same as Sunday. She didn't want food or treats but drank water on her own.
This morning she is eating and drinking a bit, but is not taking treat she would normally go crazy over. When she bent down to eat once, water poured out of her mouth. Still clear watery poops.
Other info: The poops aren't really smelly at all, she had yoghurt before the mucusy poop. No blood in diareha, her breath isnt smelly. She had bumble foot about 3 months ago that I treated successfully at home. She hasn't laid for 4 days. I don't feel any egg stuck. Will be starting her on probiotics as soon as they arrive in the mail.
Things I have read that it might be...
Ph problem... Slow crop
Bacterial... Giving antibiotic (tetracycline)
Parasitic?
Also, I have had a problem recently with the European starlings stealing chicken feed. They're always hanging around the chickens. Maybe some illness from them?
Please help she's my favorite!

Last edited:
Thanls for the reply! No messy bum feathers. Her crop is empty most of the time. I massaged her crop gently until she "burped" it didnt smell bad so I don't think it's sour crop. I did take her to the vet on Wednesday. Tested her for parasites and gave her a different antibiotic. She's clean for parasites. But she's been drinking a ton of water and not really eating so now I'm thinking it might be a kidney problem... I've been giving her a nutritional supplement every couple hours. She hasn't declined any further but she hasn't improved either.

A week ago when I first noticed her sickness she had messy bum feathers but I bathed her and since then her diarrhea has been mostly water with a tiny green chunk in the middle. Her urate is also kind of yellowish.

lethargic for the last 3 days. She is not scratching or pecking. She just kind of stands around with her tail kind of pointed down.
When she bent down to eat once, water poured out of her mouth. Still clear watery poops.
Her crop is empty most of the time. I massaged her crop gently until she "burped" it didnt smell bad so I don't think it's sour crop.
she's been drinking a ton of water and not really eating so now I'm thinking it might be a kidney problem

With those symptoms do read like a crop issue, but I would also be concerned about her having a partial blockage somewhere lower too, it could be in the gizzard or even a bit lower.
Since you did "burp" her, she has some air in there - which would indicate food is not moving like it should. Her drinking a lot of water sounds like she is trying to clear something. I would try massaging the crop at least 3-4times a day, give her about 1tsp of coconut oil and see that she has water. Soft food only like egg and wet mash.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

It's possible she may have a kidney problem, yellowish urates can also point toward liver dysfunction and sometimes laying/reproductive problems too.

Since the vet gave you antibiotics, I would finish the course of those. After you finish the antibiotics, offer her some vitamins and probiotics.

Thanks for the information. I will try massage and coconut oil, probiotics and vitamins for sure!
Before she fell sick: she is about a year old and has always laid eggs with bumpy tops, like calcium deposits. She will occasionally lay a shelless or very thin shelled egg. She is the only hen who seems to have any problems.
I did find a couple of small (pinky nail size) rubbery masses in her poop that looked like old weird chunks of egg material.

I have a bird with the exact same symptoms... she has not laid an egg now for 3 days.. but she has been acting like this for 7 days... I’m just hoping she will kick good...

about a year old and has always laid eggs with bumpy tops, like calcium deposits. She will occasionally lay a shelless or very thin shelled egg.
I did find a couple of small (pinky nail size) rubbery masses in her poop that looked like old weird chunks of egg material.
If you see anymore of the rubbery masses or she lays an odd egg, photos would be helpful.

I would lean toward her having a reproductive problem. If that is the case, then the crop issues are a symptom.
See if you can get the crop moving. The Tetracycline may help with secondary infection if the proper dose is given, some bacteria are resistant.

Some hens that have a "history" of odd eggs seem to be prone to having reproductive problems too. The rubbery masses, without seeing them, it's hard to know what those are, but I have a hunch it's lash material.

https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

She has perked up a little bit since last night. I have been massaging her and I gave her coconut oil last night too. There's more color in her face. She's taking a couple soft treats, cooked rice spaghetti noodles (not a lot). She's still drinking a lot of water. I'm going to continue to give her a nutritional supplement. Thanks for all your advice, I really appreciate it!

Back
Top Bottom