Need Advice On Amputation ASAP - Rooster Has Frostbitten Leg - UPDATE: Leg Has Been Amputated Succes

Wow, didn't realize it's been so long since I've updated! Sorry for the February-long silence. Not that much has been going on really...Jonsi's daily schedule pretty much consists of coming inside in the morning and evening to eat and have his bandages changed, then spending the day outside. Sometimes the job he assigns himself for the morning is to watch and guard hens laying eggs in the doghouse on the deck. Even without a prosthetic (yet), he's very mobile and is actually able to run fast enough to be really hard to catch (which he doesn't try often because he's so tame). His stump still hasn't healed totally...it seems like the skin just wants to grow thicker and thicker, but I'll probably start putting together Pegleg v. 1.0 pretty soon. Need to figure out what materials I'm going to use, especially for the part that his stump will be in. Don't want it to be too hard or uncomfortable. It would probably be good to find some sort of mini-sock thing or something for his stump for now, because he uses his stump to walk most of the time, instead of hopping. Sure wish I had a 3-D printer. I bandage his toes every day as well, because they were pretty raw, but they're close to being fully healed. His middle toe will probably never be able to bend fully, but that's OK as long as he can walk, and scratch enough to dust-bathe. The claws on those two toes actually fell off a while back, but I'm pretty sure that was just the outer casing. Anyways, have some pics. Just medical-type updates for now, but I'll get some more...entertaining pics in a bit. That's great to hear. :) Hope by now that he doesn't even need a bandage. Jonsi still does just because his leg is so thick I think, and because he insists on growing more and more skin on the stump, until that's really thick too, which is just fine. :p
Go Jonsi! Incredibly happy that the one legged rooster is doing so well! Leo is doing great too! No longer needs a bandage, the scab has come off and the skin is baby-smooth! And the little guy has gained some serious weight! He's going on a diet when the snow goes away! PS, my high school has a 3D printer... (Tech project? I think so!!)

Fantastic Six Chickies! Absolutely fantastic. How does Leo get around? Is he mainly a 'hopper', or does he use his stump for support to walk?

You should totally make a prosthetic with that 3D printer (and then post it on Tumblr and get half a million notes...haha).

Hey... I'm hardly on here, But absolutely love the way everyone can connect and share Such wonderful information.
I have quite a dilemma. I have a duck who has two legs pretty much flipped up the wrong way and toes curled in. My guess is that it had splayed leg, And then the Achilles tendon popped And that was that. Anyway, I've already tried taping feet flat, leg back to pop tendon in place, wrapping, etc. The leg I worked on got picked at and swelled up like a balloon. I took to vet and she said put it down. Grrrrr.
I said I just wanted amputation so I could make her little soft boots with duck feet on the bottom so she could walk easier. Vet was a d**che about the whole thing. Sorry for the colorful language. Anyway, limbs are alive. Feet can move a bit. But I can't get those legs back because been this way since before I rescued. She was, according to previous owners, hatched out this way. And she was like 3 weeks old when got her. She's like 6 weeks now. I feel like if nobody is going to help her, I need to step up and do something. Those lower legs and feet really mess her up. I can see her frustration trying to struggle to walk. Plus the bones at the ends hitting the floor. Poor thing.
And I can't put Any feet on her because the bones are literally side by side! Not even lined up normally but actually folded and next to each other. I need mega references/advice
Anything. I'm scared too because if I do anything wrong and end up losing her I'll jump off a bridge. Haha. I'm completely attached to this baby. My little special Kiwi...

Back
Top Bottom