Need advice on feeding baby geese

JessyeDagger

In the Brooder
11 Years
Sep 2, 2008
Well I did it again. Went to the dang feed store with my daughter(just to pick up some feed) and they had 3 baby geese in a pen with no water and it was over 100 degrees! We brought one home and are going back tomorrow for the other 2. I have chicken crumble I have been trying to feed him(same thing they were supposedly feeding them) but he does not seem able to pick it up. He tries to eat it but I have seen him maybe get 2 or 3 pieces down all day. Plus he has been drinking a lot. Several times he spit some of his water back up, my guess is from having been so hot at the feed store.

BTW he is a african goose. No idea on the age but he is still wobbly. He is already following us around and yells his head off when we put him in his crate to sleep. So we have been taking turns holding him so he gets some rest. Basically he is spoiled rotten!!

Any advice at all on how to care for this little guy will be very appreciated.

You need chick starter with niacin. Check the label, some have the niacin
and some don't. Make sure he has lots and lots of water in his bowl
and the water is near the feed. Greens! Spinach, any kind of lettuce
or dark greens are great and they will eat them up. Float little pieces
of the greens in the water and he will catch on quickly. Take him outside
if its warm enough and let him graze on the grass and weeds. The quicker
you can get him on fresh air and suitable grazing material, the better.
Holding and cuddling is good, the geese love it as they are social animals
and will get attached to you quickly. Put a stuffed animal in the brooder
with him at night, they will carry on when they are bored and the best
is to get a another goose to put in with him.
Try the greens and the grazing first as it will help him the most.
Good luck, the Africans make great pets!
jim

Africans are really cool looking. I saw some close up last week. WOW...the gander was awesome. Looked like a little feathered dinosaur
big_smile.png

Glad you are rescuing these poor things.

I read that if they have been without water for a period of time. DO NOT give them all they can drink at once. They can drink too much too soon and get sicker. Just let them drink several good swallows then take the water away. Give it again in 10-15 min. or so. Then gradually increase the amounts of water til they don't act sooo thirsty. JMO Hope they get better.

Put them on pasture (new tender grass is what mine like best) and supply water in a shallow dish so they do not drown and can easily get in and get out).

I honestly do not bother giving any feed to mine. So they only get other feed when they rob the ducks.

Quote:

Got a couple of pics..maybe someone will have an idea on his age?

100_0716.jpg
This is where he has spent most of his time.

100_0721.jpg

Quote:
I agree he looks 2 weeks to me. I would pick up a bag of starter feed when I got the other 2 geese. It is hard for them to do enough grazing to grow well unless they are out on good graze all day. If it is 100 there he will need some shade during the heat of the day and cool drinking water all day at least you shouldn't have to worry about brooding them. You do need to worry about preditors though, it would be best to shut them up at night. You can control pretty much where they free range by the location of the drinking water they will be making frequent trips to get a drink. If the area where they are grazing plays out just move the water to a better area (make sure they know where it is). My geese didn't like to go far from their water even as adults 50' radius was typical unless there was very good graze.

Last edited:
awww!!! thats so cute :) I dont know much, but from observing growing groslings it looks two weeks old:p they grow so fast!

Ok, I have all 3 now. However the 2 new ones are having a lot of trouble walking. they will fall over and lay there with their feet paddling but not able to get back up. Is this normal???

Back
Top Bottom