Need advice on loud chicken!

I'm up to 24 chickens now.. 2+ acres and a coop big enough to fit 50 chickens (I wanted them all to have plenty of space.. My cockerel also thinks he's bigger than he is. :lau), and of course the chicken math was bound to strike. Having 3 cockerel's didn't help (Or maybe it did, because now I have more chickens :hmm), so that's my excuse to my family for getting more! :lau I'm not quite in a rural area, but it's a rural road - people with horses, chickens, cows, etc. are all around me, but then you've got a gated community and super busy street right across the street!

2. I would not give her a treat when she is being noisy. That will reinforce her noise. She will see just how loud and obnoxious she can be b/c she knows you will bring her a "hush" treat.
Let me clarify ,not a treat a distraction. You don't let the hen see where the tasty is coming from. I just chunk a piece of fruit out the door if I need one to hush. It's like baaawk, baaaawk, what was that!? Somebody is laying an egg? Who cares! Sky fruit!

I have four pullets, all laying, and my Wellie is the only one that makes a ruckus. Judging by the replies in this thread, sounds like it's in the breed. So glad she's an afternoon layer and not an early morning layer!

LOL! I have 10 layers in my backyard flock. It was a calm Sunday afternoon, until three hens began literally bitching because two hens are already in the one and only favorite nesting box. The other three are completely ignored! They are so loud, I keep throwing them treats...to no avail. I am so happy every day is not like this one. I am wondering, what if we give them one BIG nesting box!

LOL! I have 10 layers in my backyard flock. It was a calm Sunday afternoon, until three hens began literally bitching because two hens are already in the one and only favorite nesting box. The other three are completely ignored! They are so loud, I keep throwing them treats...to no avail. I am so happy every day is not like this one. I am wondering, what if we give them one BIG nesting box!
Haha! Don't throw treats for bad behavior...throw some fake eggs in those other nests to spread the love.

Back
Top Bottom