Need advice on my chukar hatching eggs

WildWoodFarm406

In the Brooder
May 20, 2020
Needing advice please. We have 2 dozen chukar eggs that we are hatching. In hindsight I should have been more prepared with extra thermometers abs a hydrometer but I will do that next time. We set the eggs in an auto turner with the temp at 100 degrees and humidity around 50%. Day 20 took them out of the turner & placed them on the grate for lockdown. Temp 98.5 & humidity around 70%. We had nothing until day 25. 6 hatched on their own between day 25-27. We had 4 pip with no movement in 24 hours so I finished the job. 2 survived, 2 were dead before I got to them. Now I am on day 28 and nothing else has a pip. Should I open them? For nothing else then to see if the eggs were fertile & if I did something wrong?? I do have a thermometer in with the eggs & the temp is consistent. Any advice please. I want to do ducks next but I don’t want to have a crummy percentage with those as well.

Needing advice please. We have 2 dozen chukar eggs that we are hatching. In hindsight I should have been more prepared with extra thermometers abs a hydrometer but I will do that next time. We set the eggs in an auto turner with the temp at 100 degrees and humidity around 50%. Day 20 took them out of the turner & placed them on the grate for lockdown. Temp 98.5 & humidity around 70%. We had nothing until day 25. 6 hatched on their own between day 25-27. We had 4 pip with no movement in 24 hours so I finished the job. 2 survived, 2 were dead before I got to them. Now I am on day 28 and nothing else has a pip. Should I open them? For nothing else then to see if the eggs were fertile & if I did something wrong?? I do have a thermometer in with the eggs & the temp is consistent. Any advice please. I want to do ducks next but I don’t want to have a crummy percentage with those as well.
Can you candle your remaining eggs? Were you just going off of the factory preset for temp? I'm guessing your temp was off.

The breeder that sold me the eggs told me the shells are so thick it’s useless to candle. I have a thermometer in the bottom with the eggs and it’s reading very close to what the bator says and very consistent.

Candled them. There were a few clear ones that obviously weren’t fertile or died very early on. Others had a very small spot on the bottom that was able to candle and see through but nothing else was visible. Now what? Lol.

Candled them. There were a few clear ones that obviously weren’t fertile or died very early on. Others had a very small spot on the bottom that was able to candle and see through but nothing else was visible. Now what? Lol.
If they're all dead I would just remove them probably. If any look like they might be alive, leave them in.

Well that’s the problem. The majority of the eggs were extremely dark except a small spot on the bottom. It legit showed me nothing in the dark part by candling and I tried candling ever which way possible. So I guess that being said I will leave them for another couple days. If nothing happens I may follow the forum about assisting in hatching. Just to say I gave it all I had.

Well that’s the problem. The majority of the eggs were extremely dark except a small spot on the bottom. It legit showed me nothing in the dark part by candling and I tried candling ever which way possible. So I guess that being said I will leave them for another couple days. If nothing happens I may follow the forum about assisting in hatching. Just to say I gave it all I had.
That's probably a good plan. I'm kinda impatient so I personally would open up the air cells now. I just put in a little hole and pick away shell in the air cell. Then rub some coconut oil or water on the membrane and see if they're alive. If they're alive look for blood veins and assist. I personally think it would be best to investigate now, if any are they might not make it a couple more days.

Update! I ended up assisting all of the ones left. To my relief (mixed feelings lol) the majority of them were dead early on or not fertile. There are a few that, had I assisted on day 23-25, we might have saved them. Live and learn & try harder next time 💜

Back
Top Bottom