Need advice on turning dog pen into chicken run

jbly2014

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 9, 2014
Tennessee

I want to turn this dog run into a pen for my chickens. It goes around the garage in an L shape. The long side is 8' x 25' and the shorter side is 20' x 6 1/2 feet. The fence is 4 1/2 feet tall.
My questions are:

First, is this enough room for 6 hens?

What do I need to do to clean the pen? Do I need to disinfect the dirt? It's been about 6 months since it had a dog in it.

Do I need to put bedding in the run? They can't free range outside the pen because we have foxes and stray/loose dogs around.

And finally what kind of fencing should I use? I need to cover the existing fence in something with smaller holes as well as the top.

I want to turn this dog run into a pen for my chickens. It goes around the garage in an L shape. The long side is 8' x 25' and the shorter side is 20' x 6 1/2 feet. The fence is 4 1/2 feet tall.
My questions are:

First, is this enough room for 6 hens?

What do I need to do to clean the pen? Do I need to disinfect the dirt? It's been about 6 months since it had a dog in it.

Do I need to put bedding in the run? They can't free range outside the pen because we have foxes and stray/loose dogs around.

And finally what kind of fencing should I use? I need to cover the existing fence in something with smaller holes as well as the top.

you shouldn't need to do anything but trim the grass and clean up any trash also you need to cover the top so predatory birds cant get the chickens and with that much room you could have 20 or so chickens

Back
Top Bottom