Need advice on what this hens eye problem could be

PnppleUpsdDwnChk

In the Brooder
Mar 24, 2024
West Virginia
EDIT: After this post i checked their poos and i mustve not checked hard enough the first time because they have worms! I think round worms and they will be getting safegaurd dewormer.
Bantam creamlegbar or barnyard mix smaller than other birds in the flock and slower as well, she lags behind and runs after the flock when she realizes she was left.
Recently rehomed about 1&1/2 week ago and she came with this eye and prev owner says he didnt notice it.
The eye acts normal and healed/healthy and we have applied teramycin 2x a day for 3 days.I noticed once When we applied the eye bubbled but im not sure if thats the medication or her injury.
Other birds are all fine no symptoms and poops are healthy. Rooster has a dry and scabby comb but we put some neosporin on a bleeding spot.
We asked around and some people said it could be infected trauma.
Eating and drinking purina pellets w oyster shells like normal. I know nothing of their past home.
Vet is far away and booked away so i would like to help her as best i can for now. Worried it could be a tumor
Bedding is tsc woodshavings/chips

IMG_6896.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_6972.jpeg
    IMG_6972.jpeg
    848.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_6972.jpeg
    IMG_6972.jpeg
    848.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
The eye problem appears to be a sinus infection and conjunctivitis/pinkeye possibly from mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG.) Testing would be needed to confirm that. But I would get some Tylosin powder to treat the water for 5 days to treat it. Dosage is 1 tsp per gallon of water, adding the water to the powder to mix properly. You can find it here:

https://birdpalproducts.com/products/tylosin-powder-for-birds

That is how some flocks get infected with MG/CRD when bringing in new birds, and not quarantining them. I would give 1.25 ml of the SafeGuard to each chicken or 1/4 ml per pound for 5 consecutive days. You can see roundworms in the wool, but you may not see the other possible worms, and that will treat most of them.

Thank you so much! It is extremely appreciated. I will get to work on that.
The eye problem appears to be a sinus infection and conjunctivitis/pinkeye possibly from mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG.) Testing would be needed to confirm that. But I would get some Tylosin powder to treat the water for 5 days to treat it. Dosage is 1 tsp per gallon of water, adding the water to the powder to mix properly. You can find it here:

https://birdpalproducts.com/products/tylosin-powder-for-birds

That is how some flocks get infected with MG/CRD when bringing in new birds, and not quarantining them. I would give 1.25 ml of the SafeGuard to each chicken or 1/4 ml per pound for 5 consecutive days. You can see roundworms in the wool, but you may not see the other possible worms, and that will treat most of them.

Back
Top Bottom