Need advice please, hen standing funny but not likely eggbound

phaethona

Songster
9 Years
Apr 13, 2010
Missouri
I have a 3 year old production red hen who is standing upright, and it seems as though her belly is swollen -though that could just be because of the way she is standing. I have had eggbound hens before and this does not seem to be the case. She appears otherwise in good health, good comb and wattle, appetite is normal, normal excrements, bright eyes, not lethargic, is able to walk, and does not appear to be in pain or suffering. She has been this way for 2 weeks(another reason I don't think she's eggbound).

My husband says he remembers seeing an article about similar symptoms and the cause was a hard molt, and that the condition would heal itself in time. I haven't heard of this, but I hope it's something like that where her chances of survival are good.

In my area, there are no avian vets, but I was thinking about getting some antibiotics. Any thoughts?

I wish I knew what is going on with her, she is my best hen and I really want to see her survive. If there is anything I can do to help her, I would love that. Have any of you ever had an experience like this? Or have any advice?

Speckledhen has posted several threads about losing her hatchery barred rocks (and other production breeds too I think) to egg yolk peritonitis around that age. She was able to remove something like over 100cc of fluid from one of the hens and had to continue doing so. I would recommend getting on her page and finding those threads, and seeing if that sounds like what is going on with your hen. I hope not, though. There's nothing much you can do besides keep her comfortable.

Back
Top Bottom