Need advice please

taz0812

Songster
8 Years
Jun 20, 2015
I really need some advice..this is a serious worry for me. I hand raised two ducks that I bought a year ago. Yesterday I lost my male khaki duck to a dog attack. I'm devasted!! But here's the thing...I do not now or ever have locked my ducks up at night. They are completely free range. Now I'm scared to leave my duck out but when I locked her up last night she quacked all night. She hated it and I feel horrible. What should I do?? Will she get used to it or should I let her roam like she is used too??? Really need some opinions!!

Buy a couple of ducks that are used to being locked up, search Craig's list

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

That sounds reasonable but I still own the female and a friend gave me another female today just so my daffy would have a friend..she was highly depressed.

Demand compensation from the dog's owner and warn them that if it happens again you will be filing a complaint with the local authorities(if you have laws against letting animals roam freely off your property) but in the meantime, keep your ducky safe.

You could make a roofed in, one hundred percent predator proof, hardware cloth enclosed mini run that she has access to at night. Then in the morning just open the door from the outside run to the outdoors. That way she could go 'outside' about four feet anytime all night long, but still be safe. It could be built on the side of the duck coop. :)

We are searching for the dogs in question. Never seen them before that night. But they attacked both ducks..my pekin was beat up pretty good but she's doing better now. I swear I better never see those dogs again...but if I find who owns them I will press charges. We have coons, coyotes and many cats in the neighborhood and never a problem for a whole year then these two dogs came from no where.

I have another question. My chickens have a coop with a fenced run. The ducks and chickens have had little to no contact. What would happen if I put my ducks in with the chickens only at night??

I wouldn't do that if you have male ducks because if he tries to mate with the female chickens, he will hurt them as their reproductive systems are different. I have heard of people housing female ducks with chickens alright.

If you have a rooster, he or the head hen may put the ducks in the bottom of the pecking order and fight a little.
I have seen floating duck homes that are anchored in place. The ducks swim up and then go up a tiny ramp to sleep inside. A swimming dog could still get there, but it probably won't go looking. I don't know how you would clean it out either. Sorry, awful idea! Ha!

Back
Top Bottom