Need advice: silkie mix hen falling over, cant walk

taterville4

In the Brooder
6 Years
Feb 19, 2013
NC
When Art (mom is Silkie, dad EE) was a few weeks ago she would walk backwards, kinds scoot and fall over but then after a week or so she acted normal so we put her back outside. She is 10 to 11 weeks old now and up til two days ago she has been fine. She started stumbling backwards then yesterday afternoon we went out there and she was laid over on her side, legs out to the side.
She is in my garage in a rubbermaid. I fed her a little raw yolk last night and got a little poly-vit-sol drops. This morning she is still the same. I cleaned the poo off her, changed the towels under her, and she took a few sips of water and ate a little scrambled egg. I also bought pedialyte last night but havent gave her any yet.
She is my kids favorite and I want to get her better. What else can I do?

I just got home from work and she is no better. She was laying on her waterer and was soaked and laying in her poo so I was washing her in the tub and she had watery poo. If she is held up she will try and jump up with her legs but wont wrap her claw around my finger. I have my daughter holding her to dry. Any tips on what do use for a diaper? Has anyone experienced this and it got better?

Last edited:
Sorry no advice except on feeding a sick bird. I found mine would eat their pellets if I poured enough hot water over them to make a mash then fed it to them when it had cooled to just warm. It got food and water in them as well. Id make that then mix the scrambled eggs through to get them started.

They would also eat a little watermelon which helps keep liquids up.

Last edited:
Thanks ya'll. She died yesterday. I made a mash of chick feed and added honey, yogurt, baby vitamins, and scrambled eggs but she wouldn't touch that or water yesterday, she wanted to be held and sleep. Where she would poo then lay on it, I had to give her a couple baths with baby wash and blow dry her and she didnt fuss. Poor girl, she was my friendliest and prettiest. Unfortunately we wasn't home when she died. I found a red mite on her than though the lady at our feed store said it was more likely a birth defect than mite problem, I whitewashed the coop, burned the old bedding, vaselined legs and poultry dusted 16 of 20 chickens which is a workout. I also confirmed one 12 week older is a boy, started crowing when I flipped him over to get his wings done lol. I hope it wasn't Mareks, I couldn't handle this heartbreak again. Her legs moved, she just couldn't stand.

You could try tube feeding her and see if she gets better... not that tubing will "fix" her, but it might buy you some time.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom