Need advise on newly hatched ducklings and mama duck behavior.

Aphinney

Hatching
Apr 3, 2023
2 of our ducks just became mamas! We designed our coop so that one side could be closed off to the rest of the flock ---we have chickens and ducks. The drake is super aggressive, we think he might have accidently killed a couple of the ducklings after hatching, so now he is not allowed in the nursery. Plus, he tends to attack the mama's when they are brooding. We have been providing lots of water and food to them, they have plenty of space in 7ft x 7ft space with plenty of ventilation, but nesting spot in the corner to keep babies warm at night. I am sure that mama's are missing their time in the pond, but we are afraid of the drake. When is it safe to let mama and baby ducks out? They are now about 2-4 days old.

never thought of that- i guess I hate to lock up the drake for good.
He may calm down after a bit. Personally I wouldn't keep a drake that attacks his own offspring, and hens, but he may just be hormonal and need time to calm down.

Once the ducklings get a bit bigger he may not bother them. If possible pen him where he can see them and he may get used to them after a bit. I'd try a week or two at least, but longer may be necessary.

Back
Top Bottom