need answers on chicken questions? get nearly all your chicken questions answered right here right n

For 9 chickens it is nessary to have 18. Square feet of indoor coop space on average
2nd if your yard is enclosed with a fence you can let you chickens out when you wake up and round them up and put them back in there coop
At sunset

For 9 chickens it is nessary to have 18. Square feet of indoor coop space on average
2nd if your yard is enclosed with a fence you can let you chickens out when you wake up and round them up and put them back in there coop
At sunset
thank you! I have an 11' by 6' run, with a little dry part under their house part that is 6' by 4'. Then the house part is also 6' by 4'. And my yard is not enclosed, but it's predators I'm worried about, my neighbors have 3 outdoor cats and there are woods in the back of my yard (ending my yard).

Last edited:
. As far as Predators go you don't have to worry until it gets dark so let. Them roam during the day and at night put them back in the coop. There stronger than you think one night I forgot to put them in.next morning I came outside and all 11 of my chickens came beboping over to me as happy as can be.:D

. As far as Predators go you don't have to worry until it gets dark so let. Them roam during the day and at night put them back in the coop. There stronger than you think one night I forgot to put them in.next morning I came outside and all 11 of my chickens came beboping over to me as happy as can be.
big_smile.png
well my neighbors have an outdoor cat and they have looked at our chickens and layed on the rocks staring at the coop countless times, isn't that a problem? (my yard isn't fenced)

. As far as Predators go you don't have to worry until it gets dark so let. Them roam during the day and at night put them back in the coop. There stronger than you think one night I forgot to put them in.next morning I came outside and all 11 of my chickens came beboping over to me as happy as can be.
big_smile.png

Dogs & their wild cousins will hunt during the day. Cats too will hunt during the day & have been known to kill chickens. Mink, notorious chicken killers are day hunters. Hawks don't hunt at night but do take a lot of chickens during the day.
Your recommendation of 2 sq ft per bird is pretty tight quarters. For large fowl most people recommend a minimum of 4 sq ft per bird.

I have a question, i have 9 bantams all of which i hand-raised, and i love them dearly.
I have a lavender pekin, a mottled pekin, a ginger pekin, a blue crested polish, a goldlaced polish, a silverlaced polish, a cuckoo maran, a silverlaced wyandotte, a goldlaced orpington.

I am moving and i can now finally have a cockeral, now i want to handraise it so it is friendly, but i am unsure what breed, i was thinking silkie..??
Cant wait to hear you answer, cos i have no clue!!
big_smile.png

I have a question, i have 9 bantams all of which i hand-raised, and i love them dearly.
I have a lavender pekin, a mottled pekin, a ginger pekin, a blue crested polish, a goldlaced polish, a silverlaced polish, a cuckoo maran, a silverlaced wyandotte, a goldlaced orpington.

I am moving and i can now finally have a cockeral, now i want to handraise it so it is friendly, but i am unsure what breed, i was thinking silkie..??
Cant wait to hear you answer, cos i have no clue!!
big_smile.png
silkies are good, also barred rock roos are great!

I'm lettting my chickens free-range for the whole day today to see how it works out, think it's a good idea? (the neighbors cats haven't been out lately)

Back
Top Bottom