Need better technique for killing my Pekin ducks

I saw a bolt gun on the bunny rancher website for killing small livestock but it only showed them using it for rabbit . Has anyone here have one or think it well work on harder to kill poultry like ducks and geese

We operate a USDA custom processing plant and use an electric stun knife which is instant, But they are too expensive for the back yard processor. Next best thing we have found for an instant kill was a long handle sharp pruner called a lobber. The handle is about 2 ft long and gives enough leverage to cut through a pretty sizable tree branch. If these are new or very sharp, will make short work of decapitating a duck.

Adpad it is not cruel to kill a bird as food, that is what they are raised for. I do not kill my birds either, but for many they are a significant source of income or meat. Unless you are vegan/vegetarian any meat that you eat was probably raised and killed much less humanely than if you did it yourself. It is natural for people to eat meat, so farming is something we do. Please don't take offense, I don't kill my birds either, just saying that some people do, it does not make them cruel or mean.

Sorry just the thought of one of my so nice and harmless Perkins being eaten made me sad but they are meat birds and they do taste nice ;-)

Am
I killed a pair of ducks a week ago. I used the broomstick method. These were small ducks, Swedish, so I guess I overestimated the amount of force I needed to use (my last time using this method was with muscovies, much bigger). I ended up decapitating them inadvertently, but it saved me a step!

My process: catch the duck! I hold him under my arm, wings folded tight against his body. I put him on the ground, holding his feet out behind him, still holding his wings closed. I use my knee to help hold him down a necessary. I get my broom stick ready in front of us, and stretch out his neck so his head goes under the stick. You want the stick right behind the head for easiest/fastest result. Once his head is in place, I put one foot on the broom stick, hold his feet in each hand, then step on the other side of the stick and stand up, pulling his feet up with me. If you don't overdo it, you will hear a popping sound as the neck breaks, and feel the neck give way and stretch out. If you do what I did, you will have a headless duck in you hands, with the head still under the stick, with a surprised expression on his face.

None of this requires much force, it's all in the leverage, and using the strength of your legs to do the deed. No precision or technique required.

At least, that's how it worked for me.I hope you find a method that works well for you!

Amy

Oh Amy- I decapitated my ducks when I tried the broom method too- :(

I also bought a neck breaker and I guess my chooks and ducks just have rubber necks- I couldn't get them to break the neck and die- I would feel a crunch and they looked dead but after a few minutes hanging upside down ready to be scolded they revived and started flapping and looking around and panting- it was just hideously damaging - I never wanted to put them through that - what if I had started plucking or scalding- eickkk
- I kept adjusting the distance until it eventually just chopped the head off - awful messy- I have never used it again- I use a sharp knife and take the head off now

Last edited:
We operate a USDA custom processing plant and use an electric stun knife which is instant, But they are too expensive for the back yard processor. Next best thing we have found for an instant kill was a long handle sharp pruner called a lobber. The handle is about 2 ft long and gives enough leverage to cut through a pretty sizable tree branch. If these are new or very sharp, will make short work of decapitating a duck.
After I moved off the farm and joined the Army, Mom got some racks with about 1/2 dozen cones on them, and they used pruning shears (like for trimming hedges by hand) ........ they could dispatch them as fast as a rack could be loaded ............

Last time i dispatched a duck with running loppers, it was fast and effective, severed the spine and blood vessels so it bled out nicely. It was a mercy killing, it was badly hurt by a weasal, but I utilized her for food

Back
Top Bottom