Need cake yeast conversion quickly please!!

LilRalphieRoosmama

Officially Quacked
12 Years
Oct 15, 2007
Elyria, OH
I couldn't find dry yeast at the store so I bought a 2 oz. cake of yeast. My recipe calls for 2 tablespoons of dry yeast. I have no idea what the conversion is - HELP!!!

Compressed yeast to active dry yeast is 2:1 so use twice the amount called for in your recipe.
-Spooky
(or I could do the conversion the right way around.. )

[edit again] and just what the heck are you making that calls for that much yeast? Yikes!

Last edited:
Ohhhhh I hope I'm doing this right! Making pizza dough and it sure seems like alot of yeast to me but I'll give it a try.

Recipe calls for: 3 1/2 c flour, 2 T yeast, 2 T honey, 1 c warm water, 1/4 c olive oil and 1/2 tsp salt. It's mixing in the breadmaker now. Here's a conversion I found. Instead of using the full 2 oz cake, I cut a little off:

How Much Yeast Does An Envelope (or packet) of Yeast Contain? (USA)
1 envelope or packet of Active Dry Yeast, Instant Yeast, Rapid Rise Yeast, Fast Rising Yeast or Bread Machine Yeast weighs 1/4 ounce or 7 grams which equals 2 1/4 teaspoons (11 mL).

Yeast Substitution Guide:
One (0.6 ounce) cube of Fresh Compressed/Cake Yeast equals 1 envelope (or packet) of Active Dry Yeast, Instant Yeast, Rapid Rise Yeast, Fast Rising or Bread Machine Yeast, which equals 2 1/4 teaspoons or 7 grams (11 mL).

If a recipe calls for 1 envelope (or packet) of Active Dry Yeast, Instant Yeast, Rapid Rise Yeast, Fast Rising Yeast or Bread Machine Yeast, then you would use 0.6 ounce Fresh Compressed/Cake Yeast.

2 ounces of Fresh Compressed/Cake Yeast equals a strip of 3 envelopes or packets (21 grams total), or 6 3/4 teaspoons approximately of Active Dry Yeast or Instant Yeast.

Shelf life of Compressed/Cake Yeast
Compressed/Cake Yeast only has a shelf life of 4 to 6 weeks. It is highly perishable. The "sell by" date on the package is the "expiration date" also.

Quote:
That's wayyyyy too much yeast for pizza dough. It has to be a misprint and mean 2 t, not T. It should be fine, just don't let it rise very long.

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out!
-Spooky

That's what I was thinking too but I read the reviews and they were all good. Alot of people commented on the quantity of yeast; thought it would be excessive but it wasn't. I'll let you know and hope
fl.gif
it turns out good because we're starving! Didn't realize it would take 2 1/2 hours in the breadmaker or I would have started it earlier. I think it's got about another hour to go.

Here's the result and I have to say it is pretty good! After an hour in the breadmaker, the dough overflowed the pan and popped up the lid. Not knowing what to do, I punched it down. It's a little tougher than I'd like but definitely not cardboard:

Cheese stuffed-crust:

DSC03817.jpg

Sausage/Pepperoni/Mushroom/Jalapeno (this was mine!):

DSC03818.jpg

We took a vote and decided that the cast iron pan was the way to go.

Back
Top Bottom