Need Coyote help

horseyjess

Songster
14 Years
Sep 2, 2009
SW Florida
Ok so I have a BAD Coyote problem.
sad.png
They have so far carried off 2 Guniea hens, my girls 4 H Polish Roo, Turken hen, 2 showgirls, 1 Frizzled turken, 4 Barred rock hens and 1 Barred rock roo. My kids usually free range during the day. I have had to keep the remaining 9 couped and they are not happy. Got a Coyote trap and put a live chicken in it for bait. Nope to smart to fall for that trick. We have seen them a few times. By the time we get in the house break out the 30/0/6 GONE poof vanished. The girls need to get out some. What can I do? If I let the horses out during the day with the chickens do you think this will help? I normally have the chickens out durning day and horses and goats out at night? Also ANY other suggestions HELP... Thanks

You could stay with them while they free range, you could build a predator proof run, or perhaps get a donkey or large guard dog. The first 2 suggestions are the cheapest. Good luck with your coyote problem. Or...maybe you could get your gun and just lie in wait for them someplace they can't see you. If you do that often enough you might just get lucky. My neighbor shot a coyote that was getting another neighbor's hens and coming too close to his own house. He hung the body from a tree out in the open for a day or two (so any other coyotes could see it) and I don't think they have been a problem coming so close to the house since. Hope you get em!

The hardest way to catch a yote is by using a live trap they are easy to catch with snares,long spring and coil spring traps a live trap the size of a medium size dog house might work the other traps will work

This live trap has been set in a lock position for months, i put foods that this critter likes in there and still it will not go all the way in

I don't care to trap him he has never caused a problem i just wanted to see if he would go all the way in and he won't.

MDGC0025-1.jpg

MDGC0047.jpg

One of the characteristics of a coyote is that they carry their tails low as opposed to a fox or wolf that carry their tails straight out. You're wise to leave one that isn't bothering your livestock alone as he/she will prevent others of their species from coming into the territory. Once they develop a taste for chickens, however, they need to be destroyed or relocated.

I don't know if it's helped or not however our chickens are free-ranged from about 6am-9pm, and put away in the barn at night. The horses and goats are also let out in the pastures during this time. While the chickens do roam around the property, they tend to stay within a short sprinting distance of where the horses are, and the bantams tend to stay IN the horse pasture around them.

We haven't *knock on wood* had a problem with predators yet. I don't know if it's the horses/goats, or it could be the outside dog my fiance's parents have. She is penned, but again I've noticed the chickens when they venture away from the pastures will keep her pen close, too.

Back
Top Bottom