need help 4 weeks old brakel chick

Noora

In the Brooder
5 Years
Aug 24, 2014
two days back I noticed one of my 8 brakel chicks is having a problem with his feet. see photos. He can't walk properly as well. I need help,

Hi.

was it's feet ok a few days ago or did they hatch like this. They also look splayed legged as well toe problems.

There are three common reasons, in no particular order :

1. - genetic, as a result of inbreeding. Do you know their lineage?

2. - incubator foot, this just happens occasionally to incubator raised chicks. This seems too bad a case to be this, normally this just results in the odd curved toe.

3. - Mineral/vitamin deficiency. parental probably as most chick feeds are very good. Do you own the parents?

They may be some treatment but they are probably a bit old. it involves making a small pair of duck feet out of thin plywood and silicone tubing ( or straws )for the toes and using it as a splint to straighten the toes . you may need some matches as well.

You probably shouldn't breed form this bird either way.

Thank you double laced,

The chick was healthy and very active since hatched like other 7 chicks. It is only the last two days stopped walking normally and had this problem. Legs are not splayed. The parents are healthy with no problems.

I will try your treatment method making a small pair of duck feet in addition to adding vitamins in the water.

If the chicks was fine and this has developed it may be perosis which is a deformity of the bones caused by a manganese deficiency. it causes the tendons to slip out of place.

If you give the birds water from a chlorinated ( or with fluoride) source allow it to stand for 24 hours before use.

Back
Top Bottom