NEED HELP/ADVICE WITH QUAIL EGGS.

Sams_Quails

Hatching
Dec 15, 2023
Hi Guys, for anyone who’s incubated and hatched quail eggs before, we are supposed to spray eggs with 50% listerine and 50% water to disinfect quail eggs prior to incubation. In my area we only have listerine with green mint or tooth whitening eg, not the original listerine thats recommended, can I still use mint listerine to spray quail eggs to disinfect them or is origional the only option, I need to know soon! Thanks.

Hi Guys, for anyone who’s incubated and hatched quail eggs before, we are supposed to spray eggs with 50% listerine and 50% water to disinfect quail eggs prior to incubation. In my area we only have listerine with green mint or tooth whitening eg, not the original listerine thats recommended, can I still use mint listerine to spray quail eggs to disinfect them or is origional the only option, I need to know soon! Thanks.
As @Nabiki indicated, there's really no need to disinfect your eggs before incubation. I've tried both ways and have seen no appreciable difference in hatch or survival rate. It's probably a good idea to disinfect the incubator, but that can be done with hydrogen peroxide if you can't get original listerine.

@CliftonQuail, has given you the best advice, disinfect the incubator, not the eggs. Eggs have a 'protective bloom' on them, washing them or rubbing them too hard will remove this 'bloom'.

I disinfect my incubators with a mild soapy water wash down, then a bleach rinse, then plain water rinse and set in the sun to dry.

Back
Top Bottom