Questions about quails (and other birds)

If you have raccoons, you will want to secure your doors with carabiners or something. They can and will open doors. They will also reach through any opening more than 1/2" and grab birds and pull them out in pieces. I had a customer who kept his birds in a small pen happily for months, then returned all of his survivors to me after a raccoon found them.

Not all species of quail are cold hardy. Button quail are not, for example. Coturnix quail are.

Hello.

If you have raccoons, you will want to secure your doors with carabiners or something. They can and will open doors. They will also reach through any opening more than 1/2" and grab birds and pull them out in pieces. I had a customer who kept his birds in a small pen happily for months, then returned all of his survivors to me after a raccoon found them.

I don't have raccoons for now, thanksfully... But since I live in a rural area, I think I eventually will have to secure my run...
...Thank you for telling me that!!

Thus : I will probably use metal chains secured with carabiners, since I can't find any carabiner with a big enough opening to use alone...!

(But for now, I put a stop to my quails' project, since the aviary will actually take more time to make than planned... and I really don't want to bring quails home if their enclosure is too small...!)

Not all species of quail are cold hardy. Button quail are not, for example. Coturnix quail are.

What about partridge...?

Because I found one in my garden today :

DSC09719.JPG

...Looks to me like a Red-legged partridge, but... I am no expert...
(I don't even know if it is a male or a female...!!)

I don't plan to keep it, but it does not look like it wants to get away from my garden : was pretty at ease to eat my grass, and my chickens' food, and to share the garden with the chickens; and it did NOT fly away (or just fly)...
...Did not even seem to be wild, even though it was scared to get too close to me...?
(Is it normal, or could just this partridge be a runaway, or let go by hunters, or just throw in my garden by somebody who does not want it...? Feels like it is used to humans...)

DSC09723.JPG

...I locked it up in my chickens' run for the night, since I have seen a cat being very interested in it...
Am not even sure cats hunt/kill partridges, but just in case...

If ever this partridge survives the cat, and does not want to get out of my garden... I really don't plan to keep it, but nor do I want to let it die neither - SO : would putting a guinea pig plastic shelter in my garden be enough to keep it from being cold?

(We have had so much less birds in my area since they activated a cell tower near my home, last year... would be a shame to not protect the ones still coming here!
Speaking of : would an activated cell tower near my home - at approximatively 600 meters - be dangerous for the quails, if I can eventually bring some home?
Because not only have I seen less birds since last spring, but also : since then, the smaller ones very, very often crash in my windows - sometimes several times a day... and so, I'm more and more worried by the fact taking quails so close to a cell tower could potentially hurt them...? Since they also are small birds, and could not even ran away from home if needed...!!)

Back
Top Bottom