Need help ASAP (chick hatched with possible defect)

Nov 22, 2019
NC
This chick just hatched but his stomach has a red spot hanging out. I’m really worried about the little guy. I’m also worried about him dragging that around on the incubator floor. Please help!! I don’t want to lose him:hit

Attachments

• 5B0D66CB-6CBD-4617-8E58-051E060301C5.jpeg
    5B0D66CB-6CBD-4617-8E58-051E060301C5.jpeg
    303.1 KB · Views: 21
Oh no!! I’m not sure what to do but I’m hoping someone can help you soon. Good luck!!
I placed some paper towel down in the incubator so he wouldn’t drag it across the rough floor and I turned out all the lights in the room my incubator was in so the other chicks couldn’t see the red (they’ve been pecking each other’s toes all night lol) and left him to dry with his hatch mates and it “seemingly” seems better but I can’t tell because I don’t want to keep opening my incubator since I still have eggs pipping. Hoping for the best I really love these guys:fl

Hy there, anything new?
I am not sure but it does not look like the belly button where the yolk is sucked in during hatching, which can look raw and bloody if it isn't 100% closed.
If it is the belly button, keep it seperated, warm, with enough humidity so it can close...and the other chicks wont pick on the wound.
If it is the cloaka(which I fear from the picture), and part of it hanging out..still seperate, keep warm and hopefully someone with more experience can say if that can resolve(or be pushed back) or if the little one has to go on.

Hy there, anything new?
I am not sure but it does not look like the belly button where the yolk is sucked in during hatching, which can look raw and bloody if it isn't 100% closed.
If it is the belly button, keep it seperated, warm, with enough humidity so it can close...and the other chicks wont pick on the wound.
If it is the cloaka(which I fear from the picture), and part of it hanging out..still seperate, keep warm and hopefully someone with more experience can say if that can resolve(or be pushed back) or if the little one has to go on.
It actually is the spot where the yolk gets absorbed. He’s in an incubator with high humidity but I do not have the means to separate him right now I just have them in a dark room so nobody can see it to be able to pick on him. It’s not ideal but it’s the best I can do right now since it’s the middle of the night. I’m hoping he pulls through he’s not acting sickly at all.

1650792895539.png

Here you can see the belly button where the chick has sucked in the yolk into the belly.
The wound closes soon, but some chicks can have a bit of *bloody* yolk outside because the incubator was too hot/hold/humidity was too high/low...
But normally yolk hanging out will resolve after a while in the incubator.
So yeah after rechecking, it might simply be a bit of the yolk sack still hanging out.
Keeping everything calm and not disturb the climate in the incubator will help

View attachment 3076554

Here you can see the belly button where the chick has sucked in the yolk into the belly.
The wound closes soon, but some chicks can have a bit of *bloody* yolk outside because the incubator was too hot/hold/humidity was too high/low...
But normally yolk hanging out will resolve after a while in the incubator.
So yeah after rechecking, it might simply be a bit of the yolk sack still hanging out.
Keeping everything calm and not disturb the climate in the incubator will help
I’ll try and check him again in a little bit but without opening the lid (I still have eggs in lockdown) it seemingly looked better but I can’t tell 100%

If you can, distract yourself or go to sleep, the incubator climate will help the chick absorb the yolk until the morning.
And as long as it is dark, I hope the chicks leave it alone.
Tomorrow the yolk should be inside and the belly button still might look a bit raw.
But then they are fluffed and the danger of picking at it, is low.
If you have an antibiotic ointment and the navel looks still raw in the morning, but is closed, you could use that on the wound so it wont get infected.

Wishing the best on you and the little ones

If you can, distract yourself or go to sleep, the incubator climate will help the chick absorb the yolk until the morning.
And as long as it is dark, I hope the chicks leave it alone.
Tomorrow the yolk should be inside and the belly button still might look a bit raw.
But then they are fluffed and the danger of picking at it, is low.
If you have an antibiotic ointment and the navel looks still raw in the morning, but is closed, you could use that on the wound so it wont get infected.

Wishing the best on you and the little ones
Thank you so so much!!

Back
Top Bottom