Need Help, Can Chickens Get Frostbite?

It's getting better.

OK, I've had her in the house for about a day. She is doing well. My vet said every 5 to 7 hours dip her feet in warm water with one teaspoon of salt and a med she gave me. She said its less likely she will lose a foot or toe. Do to that it is only first degree frostbite. She said it will heal with in a month or two. But, my other gals won't get this too. I moved them to the garage. In my old rabbit hutch. I have four chickens. Rose, nugget, red, and Carmel renamed frosty. Frosty is upstairs in my room. She is in a towl and has a heater, feed, and water. She is doing better. Thanks guys. I found that my sprinkler pipe has a leak and it goes under the coop. It keeps raising. It was 12 degrees today. She was eating the bread I put in there this morning. She must have been in it for a while. But, once again thank you. If I have questions I'll ask.
I'm glad you were able to seek vet care.

I hope she heals and recovers soon, thanks for the update.

Aww, I feel bad. For forgetting to tell you guys that the veterinarian said it would take a week's time to look like that. Today, it looks bad again. But the vet also said it will do that and it will shift on and on for a couple of weeks. So if that happens just do the same thing. The vet also said every time I put her in the water with salt and the meds. It will start to look better, but it will go back and forth. She said that a couple of years ago. She had someone come in with the same thing. At first the patient put her chicken in the water, salt and meds. But, the next day she's like wow it looks a lot better. So, she stopped doing it. For a couple of days it looked great. Then she noticed that the chicken had two missing toes, so she started freaking out and started doing it again. But, stopped again because she thought it was OK. But, the next two days it lost both of its feet and had to be put to sleep. Thank you for your reply. Also people who are looking who have any problems like this. Visit the vet and do everything they say. Don't stop tell the vet says.

Ok, will do. She is looking bad again. But, the vet said it's natural for that happening. I will post a pic next week. Thanks.

Aww, I feel bad. For forgetting to tell you guys that the veterinarian said it would take a week's time to look like that. Today, it looks bad again. But the vet also said it will do that and it will shift on and on for a couple of weeks. So if that happens just do the same thing. The vet also said every time I put her in the water with salt and the meds. It will start to look better, but it will go back and forth. She said that a couple of years ago. She had someone come in with the same thing. At first the patient put her chicken in the water, salt and meds. But, the next day she's like wow it looks a lot better. So, she stopped doing it. For a couple of days it looked great. Then she noticed that the chicken had two missing toes, so she started freaking out and started doing it again. But, stopped again because she thought it was OK. But, the next two days it lost both of its feet and had to be put to sleep. Thank you for your reply. Also people who are looking who have any problems like this. Visit the vet and do everything they say. Don't stop tell the vet says.
Wish I'd have had a vet like that handy when Scout had his feet frozen. Like you, I kept up the soaks. It was the only thing I could think of to do, besides keeping ointments on the open sores where the blisters had been, and it seemed to soothe him so much. Keep us posted, your experiences are bound to help someone else. When it happened to Scout, I couldn't find a thing.

Ok, will do. She is looking bad again. But, the vet said it's natural for that happening. I will post a pic next week. Thanks.

You are fortunate to have a vet that knows about chickens, so many do not. I hope she makes a good recovery. You might consider getting nipple water dispensers at another time. The birds and their environment stay much drier. I don't think they work in winter temps. Thank you for taking her to a vet, and not giving up on her.

I would never leave someone or something. I have a cat named mittens. I found her wondering the street alone I noticed that she was limping. I go to the same vet every time. So, I took the cat there. The vet said she got ran over. Do to the surgery my vet said that she will never walk again. But within 4 months I wake up and she is running and walking. I have dogs that I raise and train and send them to forever homes. I would never do that. I wish I could do more for animals. Thanks for your help.

Back
Top Bottom