need help, chicks sick and parasite infestation

[email protected]

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 27, 2010
seneca missouri
I have some buff orpingtons and ameracauna pullets 10 weeks old. They all have some very small bugs on them and also some tiny egg-like dots up around on their face and head, some have raw looking spots around their eyes, and one or two of them have some snotty looking stuff and bloody stuff coming out of their nose. One also has a matted eye that looks full of fluid with some bubbles in it. any help would be greatly appreciated. thank you.

My boyfriends mum's chickens had a bad infestation of red mite there were billions of the little bastards throughout the coop and the chickens themselves. We read in an old chicken book that to kill them off spray permethrin, pyrethrin or carbaryl based insecticide/pesticide in the coop and dont let the chickens in for a few hours. Because of the severity of the mites we had to do this a few times to destroy the majority. After that we cleaned the coop thoroughly and the chooks looked much better even after one day!

So with this, i'm wondering if these pesticides will help get rid of the ones your chooks have?

Other than this, the sores your your chooks should be cleaned and a lite solution of iodine or saline put gently on them.

Hope this helps!
~Vicki

Back
Top Bottom