Need Help Choosing A Breed?!?!?

Your limited to breeds depending on what is available in your area come next spring. I could not imagine paying shipping for 3 or 4 chicks not to mention most wont ship unless minimum of a dozen.

Craigslist and chick days at local feed stores is a good way to go. Don't settle on breeds until you see what is out there. Though it's never to early to research breeds, coop construction and management. There is a lot to learn.

Last edited:
It depends but I really prefer the buff orpington because is too docile and it can go broody but if you are looking for friendliness chickens then the orpington is best choice.
OK, thank you for the good choice.
smile.png

Your limited to breeds depending on what is available in your area come next spring. I could not imagine paying shipping for 3 or 4 chicks not to mention most wont ship unless minimum of a dozen.

Craigslist and chick days at local feed stores is a good way to go. Don't settle on breeds until you see what is out there. Though it's never to early to research breeds, coop construction and management. There is a lot to learn.
I know, but I know a lot already.
smile.png

Your limited to breeds depending on what is available in your area come next spring. I could not imagine paying shipping for 3 or 4 chicks not to mention most wont ship unless minimum of a dozen

I've done my fair share of research trust me , and i know what my local feed store has so i was going based off of that !

Your limited to breeds depending on what is available in your area come next spring. I could not imagine paying shipping for 3 or 4 chicks not to mention most wont ship unless minimum of a dozen

I've done my fair share of research trust me , and i know what my local feed store has so i was going based off of that !

Unfortunately, you are going to get the 3 and realize you want more! I wanted BO and Australorps ... I ended up with 12 because I kept finding other breeds I liked
barnie.gif

OK, you could be right.
smile.png

Unfortunately, you are going to get the 3 and realize you want more! I wanted BO and Australorps ... I ended up with 12 because I kept finding other breeds I liked
barnie.gif
WOW, so many chicks.
smile.png

Sometimes you can special order more and different chicks from the hatchery through the feed store in smaller numbers. You can share an order from a hatchery with other people in your area. Twenty-five chicks split two or three ways isn't bad, and some could be meat birds heading for the freezer early. Starting out, it's fun to pick several interesting breeds and try them out. Favorites will emerge if you do that. mary

Sometimes you can special order more and different chicks from the hatchery through the feed store in smaller numbers. You can share an order from a hatchery with other people in your area. Twenty-five chicks split two or three ways isn't bad, and some could be meat birds heading for the freezer early. Starting out, it's fun to pick several interesting breeds and try them out. Favorites will emerge if you do that. mary
I know, there are many stores that have chicks.

OK i'm starting my first backyard flock next spring,ill be getting 3 hens but cant choose a breed.
I would want them to be a good egg layer and have a nice personality!
So with those traits I have narrowed it down to 3 breeds but need help choosing one, or should it be a mixed  flock.
-Buff Orpington
-Black Australorp 
-Barred Rock 
Open to any and all thoughts on this!!      

Thanks for the help    -JacksHomestead 

I have 2 Buff Orpintons and will be getting more! They are very beautiful, friendly, and fun birds
smile.png
. They also lay very well! I thought they would lay 3 a week, but mine has started and lays 6! They're like egg machines! Very cold hardy too. I highly recommend them
big_smile.png

Last edited:
So, I have had great luck with Easter Eggers, I've had three and they lay right through the Calif winter, short molt and are really friendly. Australlorp and red star are great layers too in addition to being very friendly. I've had three white leghorns, they are prolific layers, but are not friendly. Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom