Need help deciding which rooster will make a good rooster?

SweetandSavory

In the Brooder
Dec 21, 2015
Hi

To help you help me here is a bit about us and our flock. I am new to chicken keeping only since last August. Ages ranging from 4-6 months. Were down to 15 chickens out of 25 due to a bad strain of Mareks. I'm not sure who is vaccinated and who isn't but I've lost 5 out of 8 of my oldest, one of them was a good rooster who passed 2 weeks ago. I'm left with 2 Americanas - 1 does his dance but not all the chicks submit, some just run especially the 3 older girls that were with the other rooster who passed. The other doesn't do a dance then will grab the hen after his bro is done. So I'm thinking thats not good and he should be culled? Then I have (2) Olive Eggers who (1) is kinda quiet keeps to himself, occasionally will attempt to mate with a hen, the others is more aggressive but not as much as the Americana boys. He also will try to show the girls where the treats are and which nesting boxes are good but the girls aren't really listening. Lastly I have a Black Copper Maran who hangs with his 2 pullets, I think the hormones are coming late to him but he has attempted to keep the other roosters from his girls but isn't always successful but I do really want to keep him just not sure if he's a great rooster. We do plan on just getting pullets in the spring so the ratio won't be this bad but I don't need this many rooster

So my questions. I've done a bunch of reading on what is expected of a good rooster but I'm wondering how do I know if I have one so who should I keep? Also how long after the death of a rooster before the girls will accept a new rooster or will they ever?

Please feel free to offer any advice that can help me.

Their just young.You can't determine whether their bad or not.And almost all roosters go through a mean cycle.This is how they show off,and figure who is boss.

It will take time for the pullets to actually learn to accept the fact that the roosters are around.The best thing to do is let time pass and see who is best.

So, you're saying you have 5 roos. I would definitely cull that Am grabber. Dancer might be worth keeping. The OE who tidbits and likes to show nests sounds like he might be a keeper. You won't know about your BCM, who sounds like a late bloomer, until he blooms. You certainly have too many roos right now. If I were you, this is what I'd do: I'd keep either Dancer or Tidbitter, and allow BCM to get some hormones. Cull the other 3. The ideal roo will: be people friendly, be a dancer, break up hen fights, call out predator alarms, tidbit his girls, and be interested in all things family related, including accompanying the girls to/from the nest, and showing them the best nests to use. If you cull down to the 2 most likely candidates, you'll see much more harmony in your flock, though the 2 remaining boys may be compelled at that time to duke it out for supremacy, forcing your hand in an early decision. If it comes to that, I'd separate them, and give each boy a week alone with the girls, and make a choice based on what you see at that time.

Thank you all for responding.

I don't want to cull and there is a farm that will take them. I thought cull for the one because I read its best to get rid of those genetics but if its too early and there is a chance for him I would just move him off my farm. We only have the 1 coop at the moment so thats an issue but we'll be rectifying that this spring.

Part of my problems is there not livestock to me they're my pets and having lost so many I'm having a hard time choosing who to let go of.

It isn't genetics,it's hormones.Which they can't help it.
My understanding is that they are having an influx in hormones right now but their behaviors i.e the dance, pointing out food, nesting etc is genetics. My question is if he's not doing it now will he start doing it later after his teenage hormones calm down?

Yes.My roosters are in this stage right now,and are begin to do that stuff,their 8 months.The food etc things is something almost all roosters do if they are smart and are good.Plus,they aren't my first cockerals and I have delt with roosters several times.

Back
Top Bottom