Need help dont no what to do

Kgcolorgirl

Hatching
Apr 29, 2021
I have a hen frizzle only 2-3 months old
Bought 7 (different) hens 3 weeks ago 1 of my frizzles hen is lethargic not eating or drinking noticed 2 days ago separated her still hasn’t eaten or drank
I’m new at the medication stuff she’s so small having hard time giving fluids to her
Have nutri drench/water which I have tried also sweet potato and apple baby food
But can not get anything down her so I feel like she got enough or any
I’m so scared to get fluid in her lungs
Have seen green poop this am
She’s hardly holding head up
Please tell me what if anything I can do

Rather than sweet potato or apple, suggest you trying mashing chicken food with water or yoghurt - that way she can get moisture from the soft, wet food, and she will get the vitamins from the complete food. You can open up her beak, plop in a bit of food, and she will likely swallow it. If you can handle it, on here @casportpony has directions for how to give fluids subcutaneously - that way you can get her the needed moisture without worrying about getting it into her lungs - I too get really stressed about that. Another way is to use a dropper with water and put it down her throat PAST the opening to her respiratory system so it will definitely be safe.
It would be helpful if you could post a picture of the green poo. It is kind of flourescent green poo that you need to be worried about - some poo is just kind of greenish. If it is bright florescent green, then that may be because she hasn't had food - it is only bile - but it could be something seriously wrong if she has had food.
Could you take her to a vet? She might have an infection and need antibiotics. In my state (don't know what country you are in), we can't buy antibiotics at feed stores or online and have to get them from the vet.
Also, where did you buy your hens? From a reputable breeder? Otherwise there might be issues that you've inherited from whoever raised the chickens.
I'm hoping that @casportpony or @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock can help.

Bought 7 (different) hens 3 weeks ago 1 of my frizzles hen is lethargic not eating or drinking noticed 2 days ago separated her still hasn’t eaten or drank
I’m new at the medication stuff she’s so small having hard time giving fluids to her
Have nutri drench/water which I have tried also sweet potato and apple baby food
Welcome To BYC

Can you post some photos of your pullet and her poop?

If she's not drank in 2 days, then she's severely dehydrated by now. I would work on getting fluids into her first, then once she's drinking, offer her some wet chick feed.

Very hard to know what's going on with her, but a young bird like that, Coccidiosis comes to mind. If you are in the US, you should be able to find it in feed stores like TSC in the cattle section. It's not an antibiotic. Dose for Liquid Corid is 2tsp or Powdered Corid is 1 1/2 tsp per gallon of water given as the only source of drinking water for 5-7 days.

Syringing fluids into her may be needed to get her hydrated. Read the article below and study the photos to see how it's done. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

Welcome To BYC

Can you post some photos of your pullet and her poop?

If she's not drank in 2 days, then she's severely dehydrated by now. I would work on getting fluids into her first, then once she's drinking, offer her some wet chick feed.

Very hard to know what's going on with her, but a young bird like that, Coccidiosis comes to mind. If you are in the US, you should be able to find it in feed stores like TSC in the cattle section. It's not an antibiotic. Dose for Liquid Corid is 2tsp or Powdered Corid is 1 1/2 tsp per gallon of water given as the only source of drinking water for 5-7 days.

Syringing fluids into her may be needed to get her hydrated. Read the article below and study the photos to see how it's done. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/
Ty for responding
Sorry I didn’t check the responses 20 mins after posting for help she passed on
Giving fluids is definitely extremely hard
I will watch more videos to try to help assist me the next time it’s needed
🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼It will not be anytime soon
Thanks again🐥🐓

Ty for responding
Sorry I didn’t check the responses 20 mins after posting for help she passed on
Giving fluids is definitely extremely hard
I will watch more videos to try to help assist me the next time it’s needed
🤞🏼🤞🏼🤞🏼It will not be anytime soon
Thanks again🐥🐓
I'm sorry to hear she died :hugs

Thank you for updating the thread.

I'm so so sorry for the loss of your girl 😢

Back
Top Bottom