Need help dosing meloxicam

Opiumbrella

Songster
Jul 30, 2021
I have 1.5mg/ml meloxicam. I have a 3ish lb hen. I need to know how much to give her in ML. I’m so very confused and horrible at math.

I have 1.5mg/ml meloxicam. I have a 3ish lb hen. I need to know how much to give her in ML. I’m so very confused and horrible at math.
Don't know if this will help, as I use the 7.5 mg Meloxicam pills. My vet recommends 1/4 tab once a day for a hen in need, without close attention to weight (though my girls are larger breeds, 5-6 pounds). 1/4 times 7.5 mg equals 1.875 mg. If each ml of your meloxicam contains 1.5 mg, you would give 1.25 mls to equal 1.875 mg. Again, this is a standard dose my poultry vet recommended without factoring in weight.

Can someone backstop me here?

P.S. Don't know what condition you're treating, but when I had a girl with cancer, dexamethasone worked wonders in controlling pain, restoring mobility and appetite when meloxicam was no longer effective.

Don't know if this will help, as I use the 7.5 mg Meloxicam pills. My vet recommends 1/4 tab once a day for a hen in need, without close attention to weight (though my girls are larger breeds, 5-6 pounds). 1/4 times 7.5 mg equals 1.875 mg. If each ml of your meloxicam contains 1.5 mg, you would give 1.25 mls to equal 1.875 mg. Again, this is a standard dose my poultry vet recommended without factoring in weight.

Can someone backstop me here?

P.S. Don't know what condition you're treating, but when I had a girl with cancer, dexamethasone worked wonders in controlling pain, restoring mobility and appetite when meloxicam was no longer effective.
I’m treating a fly strike on a rescue I just picked up. I’ve gotten all the maggots out, cleaned and dressed the wound. Have her on antibiotics. But I know it must hurt. And I have melox from my vet for both my dog and my cat. And I thought that may help her.

I’m treating a fly strike on a rescue I just picked up. I’ve gotten all the maggots out, cleaned and dressed the wound. Have her on antibiotics. But I know it must hurt. And I have melox from my vet for both my dog and my cat. And I thought that may help her.
I hope it does; my understanding is that meloxicam can help with inflammation-related pain, not sure it's effective with pain of other origins. You are kind to be helping rescue her!

Back
Top Bottom