Need help fast - duck attacked

I did 1/4 of a 200mg Ibuprofen pill ground up with electrolytes and some homeopathic arnica and that did the trick. She (now I know it's the hen because she finally quacked and that's the only way I can tell them apart) had a warm bath and loved that. She drank a lot and walked around the bath tub and tried to clean herself a bit- her neck control seems to be improving so I'm hopeful she can survive this.
That is a good sign. Improvement is always a good sign.
I cannot remember if you put her on antibiotics, but if you did not, I would be keeping a very close eye on her for signs of an infection.
If you see it, get her on antibiotics.
Otherwise, it seems like she is healing..
Fingers crossed.

That is a good sign. Improvement is always a good sign.
I cannot remember if you put her on antibiotics, but if you did not, I would be keeping a very close eye on her for signs of an infection.
If you see it, get her on antibiotics.
Otherwise, it seems like she is healing..
Fingers crossed.
Thank you. Yes I'm doing human clindamycin orally with electrolytes and erythromycin topical on wounds that I can see. The eye and head punctures are weeping clear/look appropriate. The neck feathers are still caked with dried blood even after the bath. I don't want to mess with her neck too much given the state of it.

She is still alive. Her neck control is improving, her head no longer falls when we pick her up to move her to the bath. Main concern at this point is she is eating so very minimally.

The breeder I got her from said she has a small Cayuga hen with a deformity she will give me for free to keep this one company if she survives.

Attachments

• 411576651_2320441098145764_4226252341483755581_n.jpg
    411576651_2320441098145764_4226252341483755581_n.jpg
    258.5 KB · Views: 4
If she'll drink some soupy feed that would be good and add some poultry cell to it for some added help. One thing is when they are injured or sick they lose their appetite and the nutrients they need so much to help them recover so if she doesn't begin to eat the next day or 2 I'd seriously think about tube feeding her. It isn't that hard and can really help them gain back strength and health. It might take you a day or more to gather the things you will need to do this. I had to order online since there isn't any place around here that sells much of anything. But I had to learn the hard way it's better to have everything already than wait until you need it I lost a Runner becasue of it. Then when I had another that needed tube fed I was prepared.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tube-feeding-ducks-updated-5-7-2020.1211994/
Okay y'all would be very proud of me I ran to Agway, got a kit and some expensive mash, put it in the blender with warm water and tube fed her. My husband "helped" but didn't know to hold the tube onto the syringe while pushing so I was wearing half of it. But it's done.

If she'll drink some soupy feed that would be good and add some poultry cell to it for some added help. One thing is when they are injured or sick they lose their appetite and the nutrients they need so much to help them recover so if she doesn't begin to eat the next day or 2 I'd seriously think about tube feeding her. It isn't that hard and can really help them gain back strength and health. It might take you a day or more to gather the things you will need to do this. I had to order online since there isn't any place around here that sells much of anything. But I had to learn the hard way it's better to have everything already than wait until you need it I lost a Runner becasue of it. Then when I had another that needed tube fed I was prepared.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tube-feeding-ducks-updated-5-7-2020.1211994/
I need help. I'm tube feeding 2x daily but she's having neurological symptoms like twitching and spinning in circles. She seems very stressed and tube feeding is not sustainable long-term. How long did you do this for? I am unsure at what point I should humanely euthanize her since I don't want her to slowly starve to death. She won't eat, only drink. And if it's soupy food like watermelon puree, raw egg, bits of mash in water- she'll take a sip or two and then reject it.

Back
Top Bottom