Need help finding DE for fly control

My mother bought me some Diatomaceous Earth a few years back at a local food co-op that carried this. She had got it for me when I had seen a few roaches in a new apartment and said I could even sprinkle it on my cat for fleas. I poured some in a salt shaker-type bottle and sprinkled it on my cat. I'm sure it's the same for chickens. For the roaches, you put a little sugar in the powder and they ate it up and died.
I just did a search on line and found a website, www.herbalremedies.com that sells it and also describes a lot of things it cures.
I would suggest to people to try a health food store or that type of store rather than Lowes. Most stores will special order you this if you ask them about it.

amazon.com not sure if it's food grade though. They have all different sizes available.
Actually, there is a food grade one available. It's Organic Pest Control: Diatomaceous Earth Mastergardening Brand. I just ordered some
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I have the food grade DE and will start to use it. First time chick owner. Well by Friday I'll be a mommy.
smile.png

I'd like to add flaxseed to their grain, does anyone do this?

I just ordered a 50# bag from the local feed store here in south central PA. The guy there knew exactly what I was talking about and said the price had recently gone up (at least here) because a lot of the farms around were using it for worming their cows & sheep. Anyhow, it was $35 for the 50#...so I suppose I won't have to hunt for DE again for awhile.

Edited for the following: Jenny, I have given my girls some flax seed as free choice. They sampled it but weren't impressed. They get it occasionally when I give them bread scraps that have the flax in it and they eat it then as far as I can tell.

Last edited:
OK....after doing a lot of searching for Food Grade DE in our area (Jonesborough, TN), I wasn't finding much. The best I could find was at a local CO-OP that only had 4lb bags of it for $10 and if they ordered the 50lb bag it would run us a little over $40. I thought that was a little steep after seeing everyone else's posts about how much they pay, so I continued to do more searching. Today, I found a Ward's Feed Store in Kingsport, TN (about 35 mins from us) that is out right now but has carried 40lb bags for $27. WOO HOOOOO!
celebrate.gif
Hope abounds, lol. I never thought it would be this hard to find DE in our area. Phew!
rant.gif
barnie.gif

If anyone has any other places close to us that might be an option, please let me know. Thanks!

Quote:
You will need to read the bag and see is an insecticide has been added or not. If not, it is fine around your chickens; is an insecticide has been added, you need to check to see which one before you can decide, but definitely do not feed to them if it contains an insecticide.

Okay, I don't have enough time this morning to read all the posts here. For fly control, you are trying to dry the manure so that they are not attracted to it to lay eggs. Any agricultural drying product should help: agricultural lime, stall dry or (in my opinion, the best choice) Swet PDZ.

Quote:
Sonora, the original post is from May 2007. Last post before today was June 2009.

Good idea to keep it going though, food grade DE is pretty hard to find in some places! I have yet to find anything but pool grade here in SC.

I prefer not to pay shipping but I may have to.

Back
Top Bottom