Need Help for Call Duck!

rednana9

Chirping
8 Years
Oct 3, 2011
South Carolina
I have a 2 1/2 year old female white call duck. She cannot keep her balance. This has been going on for several days. She is not listless and trys to forage but cant keep her balance. I have brought her inside until this is fixed. Food is scratch grains and some layer. Her name is Minnie. Thanks for any help you can give me.

are there nasal secretions? Are her eyes doing weird movements?
try vestibular disease, if that sounds like it use terramycin ear drops

are your pond levels low?

Last edited:
No weird eye movements and no my pond is not low. It is changed every 2 or 3 days. She has a mate but he is fine. Any other suggestions? I also have a pair of muskovies but no problems with them. I started ebsom salts this morning but no improvement. I have some Durapen(penicillian) should I try that and if so how much and how to give?

Oh, I haven't been on the forum for a while . . . .

Feed stores may have the drops, or you may need to order them from a supply house. You could try PMing ChickenCanoe to ask about the source. I am in New England, so I don't know what to advise. I might, in a pinch, wipe a little dab of triple antibiotic ointment around the ear area in hopes that might get absorbed.

And I would definitely give lukewarm baths to encourage washing the head.

The only thing I can find around here is the ointment. Vet from another town will be bringing it and some baytril. I didnt find it online either.

he is only bringing meds to the feed and seed store. He doesnt see ducks. All the vets around here usually see dogs and cats,horses and cattle and thats it.

Back
Top Bottom