Need help: hens picking at rooster's neck and head feathers

Scifisarah

Songster
10 Years
May 1, 2009
Rockford MI
My Coop
My Coop
I'm not sure if just one hen is doing it, or several but my lovely mottled cochin roo is slowly losing his little head and neck feathers. I've seen my blue mottled hen pecking them off and he just sits there like a good rooster and lets her eat off his feathers. It isn't bleeding, but I would rather he not go bald. Can I add something to their diet to keep them from doing this, or do something else? I feed them either Blue Seal layer, or Purina Layena + Omega-3.

Last edited:
Feather picking is usually either due to too little protein or too little space. Something like mealworms or scrambled eggs would be ideal ways to add protein, as animal sourced should be most likely to help.

Feather picking is usually either due to too little protein or too little space. Something like mealworms or scrambled eggs would be ideal ways to add protein, as animal sourced should be most likely to help.

It must be the protein then, because I only have 9 bantam chickens in a large coop and huge run. Seems like all the food producers keep switching from animal protein to all veggie based foods. I'll start giving them scrambled eggs every few days and see if that works.

Back
Top Bottom