Need help identifying lacing gene

no fly zone

Free Ranging
5 Years
Feb 6, 2019
suburban NJ :(
Does anyone know what may have caused the white lacing in my frizzle naked neck chicken? She hatched out of an egg we bought as part of a random assortment and the hatchery has no idea as to her lineage. We would love to duplicate her look, but I believe it may be recessive. She also lays olive eggs if that offers any additional clues.
20200207_171021.jpg
20191201_163907.jpg
20191201_164758.jpg

Thank you. Do you know how I could duplicate it? I am not overly familiar with chicken genetics.

Simplest thing I can think of: get a black rooster. Cross her to him, and keep a son. Cross the son back to her. Hatch a bunch of chicks, and select the ones that look right. Be prepared to eat a lot of chickens, because you will probably get quite a few that do not look right.

Crossing a son or daughter back to the bird you like works with just about any set of genetics you may want to match, even if you don't know what's causing it.

What hatchery did you get the eggs from? What was the description when you ordered the eggs?

Simplest thing I can think of: get a black rooster. Cross her to him, and keep a son. Cross the son back to her. Hatch a bunch of chicks, and select the ones that look right. Be prepared to eat a lot of chickens, because you will probably get quite a few that do not look right.

Crossing a son or daughter back to the bird you like works with just about any set of genetics you may want to match, even if you don't know what's causing it.

What hatchery did you get the eggs from? What was the description when you ordered the eggs?

We ordered a random assortment from mypetchicken.com

This is not caused by the lacing gene. Rather, it is caused by the lack of a melanizer so silver is allowed to leak through the black.
To me it does not look like an undermelanized Extended Black, it looks like Silver Birchen with Birchen based ground lacing(White if it's based on sex linked silver or gold/red if it's based on sex linked gold) You can see this on many breeds for example the "Silver" Sussex(Silver Birchen based), Birchen Modern Game Bantams and Birchen Cochins

1603237579644.png

1603238288216.png

1603238403223.png

To me it does not look like an undermelanized Extended Black, it looks like Silver Birchen with Birchen based ground lacing(White if it's based on sex linked silver or gold/red if it's based on sex linked gold) You can see this on many breeds for example the "Silver" Sussex(Silver Birchen based), Birchen Modern Game Bantams and Birchen Cochins

View attachment 2380930

View attachment 2380949

View attachment 2380958
Makes sense, though I have gotten the same results with a black heterozygote. Do you think it would be possible to extend the "lacing" over the whole bird and breed it with a fair amount of stability? I never noticed until now how striking it was.

Makes sense, though I have gotten the same results with a black heterozygote. Do you think it would be possible to extend the "lacing" over the whole bird and breed it with a fair amount of stability? I never noticed until now how striking it was.
Pseudo Birchen which are heterozygous Extended Black with Columbian like Black sex links do show a very similar pattern but would not breed true, it's Best to start with Birchen and breed from there

Back
Top Bottom