Need help identifying squirrel with possible mange

P
Fortunately, we don't have plague in Michigan!  If you check with the DNR,  they will sometimes post a dead critter as part of their wildlife survailance program.  They have a path lab in the lower level of the MSU Diagnostic Lab, and I found a person to call on the DNR website.  You will have to deliver it to them, not frozen but chilled, ASAP.  I agree, infected wounds, poor guy.  Mary

Thanks! I will do just that, I haven't gotten rid of him yet. I wonder if they'll get upset because I think squirrels are currently out of season though...

I emailed the michigan DNR wildlife disease laboratory and asked if they want the body sent to them or if I should just burn it. It looked, from the information that I read, to be the type of mange that squirrels get but isn't suceptible to humans or dogs. I still want to hear back from them to be sure though..can't be too cautious

You have to have a reason for killing a squirrel? Who knew??
idunno.gif

Congratulations. You just killed a squirrel for no reason.

Congratulations! This was from months ago, good job trying to stir the pot, bravo. The squirrel did in fact have mange, which is an extremely unpleasant disease that is extremely contagious to the other squirrels. I buried it to prevent the spread of the disease.

Congratulations! This was from months ago, good job trying to stir the pot, bravo. The squirrel did in fact have mange, which is an extremely unpleasant disease that is extremely contagious to the other squirrels. I buried it to prevent the spread of the disease.
Glad you put the poor thing out of its misery and helped keep the disease from spreading.

Back
Top Bottom