Need help in creating compelling argument for back yard Chickens

Dace

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 17, 2008
My City Municipal coda says yes, but my HOA says no.
I want to put together a compelling argument to change their minds. I do not think a petition will help at all as we are in a somewhat upscale community that just won't get it....in time sure, but right now, not really. That will be my next step!

Does anyone know of any links or articles on line that I could grab to use? Also I know that the SOPO girl had some great letters from someone within the AG dept of her state as well as a local vet and I think I will do the same. If anyone here has any suggestions I welcome the input!

living in HOA rules sucks...too many of our old BYC members had to either move or give up their birds. The only thing I can see is having chickens are getting some Seramas (now dont start the debates on this!) and call them pet birds and get an oversized cat cage for them. I am sure others will chime in!

We live in an upscale subdivision with an HOA. Our covenants specifically allow poultry. But we do have very large lot sizes.

You need a doctor to write you a prescription for yard eggs.
gig.gif

Seriously, my general argument goes something like this

My pet chickens will never:
poop in the nieghbors yard
bark all night
put foot prints on a neighbors car
kill birds
bite a child and draw blood
spray a neighbors front step
stray from a well fenced yard
rip open trash bags and spread garbage all over the street
bury their waste in my flower bed

My neighbors cats and dogs do all of those things and more. My pet chickens do not, and they give me eggs besides. They are clean, quiet, and are less intrusive than a large dog kept outdoors or any dog who's owner doesn't scoop.

sorry, the whole meaning changed when I left one word out.....now that coceral that won't stop crowing may be a problem for me. His bedroom might end up in the garage.

Last edited:
I feel your pain... we don't even have a HOA... our municipal code requires a livestock permit though, and we have to have the written permission from each of our neighbors within 500 feet of our property. I put out a flyer to each of them... but still had two who were adamently against it, so no dice for us I guess. I'm thinking my next step will be to go to the town council and try to amend the code, allowing a certain number of hens only, with certain restrictions. I can't stand having to ask permission from ignorant, close-minded people!

Since they're upscale, just tell them how MUCH keeping chickens costs! Maybe they'll let you have them on that arguement alone? LOL!!! I like the Dr's. note. I do have an aunt that thought she could NOT eat eggs for the longest time, then went to visit her son and was able to eat the eggs from their backyard flock. Turns out she was just allergic to STORE eggs!
wink.png

Stacy

Mom's Folly has a great set of arguments.

I live in an HOA and it is really not that bad. The HOA wants nothing to do with you. The board members want whatever little perk there is for sitting on the board and they want to do nothing. They will only act if someone complains.

No one cares about my hens and I think my neighbors would really like to see them more than they do. I don't keep roosters.

I also don't paint my house the approved colors or do anything else they want you to do. But, I can't paint my house purple.

As long as I don't bug anyone, they don't bug me.

If you don't win with the HOA, get a couple of neighbors and get on the board and approve anything you want.

Good luck,
Matt

Back
Top Bottom