NEED HELP orphaned wild duck

rayndance

Chirping
Aug 21, 2021
My children found a black bellied whistler duckling in a residential area. I have no idea where it came from and there are no bodies of water near and it is a wild duck. I looked it up and it's a 'bumble bee' duckling with distinctive markings. He looks like a hatchling, very very tiny. I have him under a heat lamp and have force fed him 1/2 tsp sugar water yesterday and made him swallow some stater/water slurry today along with water. I live in central Texas and called a wild bird rescue and they told me I'm doing about right and that they don't have a high survival rate. I don't know if he was dehydrated in the Texas sun or how long he was running down the road when he was found. I'm going off my knowledge of other baby animals and wild birds. He's not interested in food or water. Could it be because he's newly hatched? I'm not sure if I should be force feeding him or just letting him rest a while (he was exhausted). I have no way to determine age or if he's still getting nutrients from the yolk sac. I really need suggestions, please.

Hello and welcome to BackYard Chickens! :jumpy Glad you joined our community. Everyone here is very kind and helpful :)

Sounds like you're doing a good job with him. I would try to get him to eat some finely chopped eggs (scrambled or fried), that will help him a lot.

Could you post a picture of the duckling? We may be able to determine the age.

I don't know a lot about this specific type of duck, but @Isaac 0 or @Miss Lydia might know, or know who to tag, and they're both very knowledgeable.

Hello and welcome to BackYard Chickens! :jumpy Glad you joined our community. Everyone here is very kind and helpful :)

Sounds like you're doing a good job with him. I would try to get him to eat some finely chopped eggs (scrambled or fried), that will help him a lot.

Could you post a picture of the duckling? We may be able to determine the age.

I don't know a lot about this specific type of duck, but @Isaac 0 or @Miss Lydia might know, or know who to tag, and they're both very knowledgeable.

Attachments

• ducker.jpg
    ducker.jpg
    349.1 KB · Views: 10
The rescue wouldn’t take this lil one?forcing anything especially liquid can cause the liquid to go the wrong way which can cause pneumonia. Are you experienced in feeding liquids?
Yes I've rescued a few birds before I'm being careful not to let him asperate, at the same time not wanting him to die of dehydration because it was in the 90s yesterday and don't know how long he was wandering. I'm giving it with a spoon and he's tipping his head back when drinking, but doesn't show interest on his own. The rescue I called was miles away. I wasn't able to get a hold of anyone locally.

That’s great you have experience. Hopefully giving water frequently will get it hydrated. If have birds of your own maybe you have some nutridrench? If so add to the water. If not some use a little sugar in the water. Im not sure I’d force feed on it till it’s holding its head up good. Let’s see if @Pyxis is on or @casportpony

Ok yes and just to clarify- I'm more or less carefully propping his little beak open and 'setting' the slurry in his mouth, not forcing it down his throat. It's always a risk doing this but it's also a risk not having enough calories or water. He's sitting up now grooming himself which is a good sign, I know there's prob more of a chance that he won't make it but, I'm going to try.

Thank you. He's drinking on his own now and starting to act like a duck. I'm going to leave him alone the rest of the evening so he can rest and hopefully (fingers crossed) he'll become interested in the starter.

Back
Top Bottom