Need help pale chicks

Chicken raiser393993

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 28, 2017
I have chicks, pullets and stags that are all pale skinny and dying. I think it may have to do with their water, but I can't do anything about it. I've tried giving them garlic, lemon, vinegar, designer, wazine17, but they continue to die. It mostly happens to the young ones.
Some become paralized for 2 days and then become better. Others become paralyzed and die instantly. When paralysis happens, it starts with their necks and legs, then they become immobile.
I do not know what else to do. I think these are different diseases possibly having to do with the water? I've raised chickens for So long and have never had a problem, then suddenly they all got sick. Can anyone help me?

Your whole flock should be culled it could a contagious disease if it is from the water if you dont want too you could try some antibiotics but its a long shot

It sounds very much like you have an outbreak of Marek's disease which is a herpes type virus that transmits via dander dust. It is a very common and easily contracted virus but can be totally devastating. Symptoms often first appear as paralysis in juvenile birds but can also cause sudden death with no apparent symptoms as well as making young birds susceptible to coccidiosis and other infections and parasites. Unfortunately there is no recognised treatment and birds are carriers for life. It can lay dormant for months or even years in carriers and then something triggers an outbreak, usually when the bird is stressed by a change of environment or being confined or the introduction of new birds.
There is lots of great info about Marek's disease here on BYC and many of us support the sick ones rather than cull. That said, it sounds like you may have a rather virulent strain, so culling may be the best option. I would advise you get a necropsy done on the next one to die before you commit to going that route though.
Good luck with your remaining birds.

Regards
Barbara

It sounds very much like you have an outbreak of Marek's disease which is a herpes type virus that transmits via dander dust. It is a very common and easily contracted virus but can be totally devastating. Symptoms often first appear as paralysis in juvenile birds but can also cause sudden death with no apparent symptoms as well as making young birds susceptible to coccidiosis and other infections and parasites. Unfortunately there is no recognised treatment and birds are carriers for life. It can lay dormant for months or even years in carriers and then something triggers an outbreak, usually when the bird is stressed by a change of environment or being confined or the introduction of new birds.
There is lots of great info about Marek's disease here on BYC and many of us support the sick ones rather than cull. That said, it sounds like you may have a rather virulent strain, so culling may be the best option. I would advise you get a necropsy done on the next one to die before you commit to going that route though.
Good luck with your remaining birds.

Regards
Barbara
Thanks. I was afraid someone would say that. It has to be mareks, with everything I've tried it seems not to have a cure.

Ive had two unsuccessful successes, if that makes any sense. As chicks, a male and female became paralyzed for two days and the third day were totally fine as if nothing happened. When they grew to about 6 months the pullet got really pale and skinny then started limping, eventually dying. The male was fine. Then at 10 months of age, the stag is now having the same symptoms (pale, skinny, limping), and I fear the worst. I've tried everything as i said before, so I guess I'll just have to let him die:(

I think coccidiosis is what they might have. The more severe case I have is a walking skeleton. Hds eating fi e but keeps getting skinnier and paler.

You may want to have a necropsy done by your state vet or poultry lab on another chicken or two, but refrigerate the body right away and ship it on ice. They can look for Mareks or other diseases. Mareks can cause a lack of immunity to many common diseases including coccidiosis and others. I would try to get to the bottom of the mystery dillness soon. Sorry for your loss.

Ive had two unsuccessful successes, if that makes any sense. As chicks, a male and female became paralyzed for two days and the third day were totally fine as if nothing happened. When they grew to about 6 months the pullet got really pale and skinny then started limping, eventually dying. The male was fine. Then at 10 months of age, the stag is now having the same symptoms (pale, skinny, limping), and I fear the worst. I've tried everything as i said before, so I guess I'll just have to let him die:(

The above is very much my experience with Marek's. Of course I have had others birds that just deteriorated with the first attack and one that survived 2 attacks although it took 3 months to recover from the second one and she didn't fully recover that time, but was eventually well enough to free range with the rest of the flock. I've just lost a 2 year old to it that had a dropped wing as a youngster and no problems since until she went lame over winter when she was confined due to bird flu restrictions and I think it was the stress of confinement when they were used to free ranging, that triggered it. She battled it for 4 months and layed every other day, despite the lameness but eventually she got what I believe was an e coli infection and that took her, but she had wasted away despite me ensuring that she got fed special treats to boost her immune system. It's a really horrid disease. Just when you think you are clear of it, it rears it's ugly head again. I lost my favourite broody bantam, a silkie/pekin cross, today. I haven't had time to open her up yet to see if I can figure out a cause of death but half expecting to find a tumour, although she had never shown any Marek's paralysis/symptoms. She was such a sweet chicken and great broody mother. I bought her at auction and she must have been about 4 years old. RIP Frances! I will so miss your neat little fluff butt and beautiful, kind brown eyes!

The above is very much my experience with Marek's. Of course I have had others birds that just deteriorated with the first attack and one that survived 2 attacks although it took 3 months to recover from the second one and she didn't fully recover that time, but was eventually well enough to free range with the rest of the flock. I've just lost a 2 year old to it that had a dropped wing as a youngster and no problems since until she went lame over winter when she was confined due to bird flu restrictions and I think it was the stress of confinement when they were used to free ranging, that triggered it. She battled it for 4 months and layed every other day, despite the lameness but eventually she got what I believe was an e coli infection and that took her, but she had wasted away despite me ensuring that she got fed special treats to boost her immune system. It's a really horrid disease. Just when you think you are clear of it, it rears it's ugly head again. I lost my favourite broody bantam, a silkie/pekin cross, today. I haven't had time to open her up yet to see if I can figure out a cause of death but half expecting to find a tumour, although she had never shown any Marek's paralysis/symptoms. She was such a sweet chicken and great broody mother. I bought her at auction and she must have been about 4 years old. RIP Frances! I will so miss your neat little fluff butt and beautiful, kind brown eyes!
Yep. I've been losing almost all my favorite.

First thing I would do is treat all for cocci. Electrolyte imbalances can also cause the symptoms you describe. After treating for cocci, I would put a good vit electrolyte mix in their water and use that for a couple of weeks. Then for continued good health use it at least a few days a week. Avian Super Pack is a very good product, it doesnt' have a bunch of sodium or salt as first ingredient. Birds that are healthy can fight off disease much better than those with poor diets. I never trust the bagged feed to provide the necessary nutrients because sometimes a bag will not get proper mix, many times the feed has sat on the shelf six or more months! Old feed loses nutritional value. Improper storage (heat, humidity) causes it to break down even faster.

If it's Mareks, not much you can do, but vitamins/min will give them a fighting chance. Any chicks/birds you bring in in the future will need to be vaccinated for Mareks. Hatcheries will vaccinate if you request it, or you can hatch your own eggs and vaccinate them yourself right after hatch. Of course you have to take extra precautions to make sure hatchery room and yourself is not contaminated with the virus. Any chicks you buy from feed stores will not be vaccinated. Even it they are, they are exposed in the store before vaccine has a chance to build immunity for them, so, that is for naught. Best way to get vaccinated chicks is direct from the hatchery, vaccinated, or hatch and vaccinate yourself. After you vaccinate them, they need to be basically in a sterile quarantine for 10 days before risking exposure. Which, makes even vaccinated hatchery chicks risky because of transport times. But, I would think the risk is more at the hatchery than the folks at the post office. :)

Back
Top Bottom