need help picking breeds please take a look

I think I'll go with the mix of 3 white leghorns and 3 Rhode island reds. ( purely for production rates) but in the future (far future) I also want to add some black stars and easter eggers..

Am I correct in my assumption that I will have far less problems with birds not getting along if I raise them together from day one instead of buying pullets?

Perhaps someone who has raised more chicks than I will have a better perspective but based on my few experiences and what I have read I would say a solid: maybe? (not a great answer, I know)

Pecking orders are not set in stone and will change even if you don't add new birds. Also, like people, bird's temperament and personality change a little bit at different life stages. They go through a bit of an angsty teenage phase and they mellow a bit at laying age. They get grumpy when they molt or go broody. The birds I brooded together do not seem any more or less fond of each other than the ones I got separately as started pullets. (with the exception of the initial introduction)

I would say that nutrition, coop space, and bordem have more to do with them getting along consistently than anything else. Overcrowding is the biggest cause for violence. If you do feel like you have a feather picker or a bully take them out right away. Chickens form habits very fast and once something has become routine for them it is hard to break.

Last edited:
I have 2 RIR's and one is pretty friendly and the other has a beak/scull deformity so I think that makes her a little less friendly, but otherwise she is curious. I have to say they are pretty noisy sometimes. They didn't end up really laying during the winter. I am really impressed with my Red Star and Buff Orpington, they have nice personalities and laid through the winter without lighting. My Red Star will basically lay no matter what. I have one white egg layer that's a Ancona. She lays medium eggs about 6 out of 7 days. She is somewhat friendly and flies out to free-range all the time, but you can always clip their wings. I now have 14 chickens and 11 different breeds! I hope you have fun. :)

We have five breeds and for personality and friendliness ( with people) the RIR's are my favorite. The Maran and Wellsummer lay fantastic chocolate brown eggs but they are more live stock that pets.

Last edited:
I thought RIRs layed more through the winter than most brown laying breeds? Your saying red stars lay through winter that may be my best bet. Because I'm looking for a steady 3 dozen/wk supply all year around. ( 6eggs per week per bird)

Does anyone have any opiniona on the broodiness of these 3 breeds? Red star white leghorn and Rhode island red

I have a golden comet which is a rir and buff orpington mix and she has a great personality and lays great I also have a rir and she is a little spunky but not bad. Both are great layers

have u tried osterlorps? they r known 4 being good layers. we some times get 2 a day form Austin.

But osterlorps don't lay white eggs.at least u want 3 brown layers!

oh,wait, u don,t want a brooder. never mind that osterlorp idea. they r known setters. but if u want multi-colored eggs ameraucanas r the way 2 go! they r kid friendly egg producers. same with araucanas. or at least mine are.
Australorp is spelled A-u-s-t-r-a-l-o-r-p not Ostalorp, I wanted to tell you so you know to spell it with an A

I thought RIRs layed more through the winter than most brown laying breeds? Your saying red stars lay through winter that may be my best bet. Because I'm looking for a steady 3 dozen/wk supply all year around. ( 6eggs per week per bird)

Does anyone have any opiniona on the broodiness of these 3 breeds? Red star white leghorn and Rhode island red
Red Stars, or whatever you want to call them, are rarely EVER known to be broody, same with Leghorns. Rhode Island Reds will maybe be broody once in a very, very long while. My Red Star is a RIR and a RI White, or so I've read from the hatchery page. She lays a large egg 6-7 days out of the week. She is also one of the only ones to lay double-yolkers. She could be more friendly if I spent a little more time with her when she was young, but she still will come up to strangers looking for treats. I find her to be beautiful, but she doesn't tend to stand out very much. I just got another one, but I still have to wait maybe 5 months for eggs from her, she is pretty sweet so far. Here is a pic of my adult Red Star named Claire. I've had her for about a year.

Thanks for all the great info my chicken peoples. I think my decision is 3 white leg horns and 3 red stars. For two main reasons, the lack of broody behavior and constant high egg production. Thanks for all the help! Time to start building the coop now!! I'm really excited about that part I have some great (or so I hope they will be) ideas

Back
Top Bottom