Need help predator proofing! PLEASE HELP!

Aint that the truth, I've had fence chargers for horses in the past that were so powerful it would make my foot involuntarily stomp the ground if i touch it with my hand, the electric current would exit out of my foot quite violently......it was painful!!!

I appreciate the info on setting it up you provided, it's been awhile since I've run electric fencing, and I am planning on running it too.
Yeah... I've "tested" the fence several times over that past year and some of the words that have come out of my mouth after accidentally touching one of the strands arent even appropriate at a truck stop... I backed into it while working in my garden this spring and my leg went straight, i jumped about three feet off the ground and my butt hurt for about 4 hours... My 4 year old daughter didnt stop laughing at me for about 15 minutes( and she looks sooo sweet) while i muttered to myself under my breath... All the while looking back over my shoulder to make sure the fence wasnt sneaking up on me somehow...

Last edited:
I have 2 pens equaling an area of 32'x32'. Half is covered by a strong shade cloth, the other half by chicken wire. My fencing is 6' welded wire fencing (2x4 spacing). The bottom 3 feet of fence are reinforced by 1/2" hardware cloth and a chicken wire skirt extending 1 foot on the ground covered by
concrete patio blocks to discourage digging. Just for the fun of it, we have 3 strands of electric wire.
This MAY sound like overkill, but every measure was taken to prevent more losses. The first year I had chickens, I lost over 40 plus 15 ducks and 2 geese.
barnie.gif
I would make it MORE secure, but cost of materials is an issue.
th.gif

I learned that if a predator CAN get in, it WILL get in. Here we have hawks, owls, bobcats, racoons and whatever else that lives in the woods. We do lose a free ranging chicken now and then, but so far, the ones in the pen have been safe.
yippiechickie.gif
It pays to be smarter than the predators.

Good luck!!!

I read somewhere if you run the hot wire about the height of the predators nose. And put one of you're expired chickens on it. That when the predator comes back for one more taste they suddenly respect the fence. I lost three cats in one week before I knew what was going on with the coyotes. I spotted one of my kittens tail dangling in a coyotes mouth one morning. Coyotes don't leave anything behind. Dogs kill for sport. I use to work next door to a vet, his sheltie was attack by coyotes. He worked very hard to save her. The coyotes really tore her up. I thought I had problems til I read Minihaha's post. I'm not sure if I could get chickens if I thought it would attract cougars. :barnie

Back
Top Bottom