Need help.. Sick & lethargic

PeaDaddy,

Baytril is a great antibiotic, but there are risks associated with it. Talk to your vet about the possibility of acquiring fungal infections and any other problems known to occur with Baytril.

Thanks for all of the input. It seems as though we're out of the woods (fingers crossed). Our bathroom has been satisfactorily destroyed, and the birds are eating, drinking, and gaining weight.

We had a lengthy discussion with the vet yesterday, and it turns out that the "Board Certified Vet" here in AZ told my vet that Baytril was NOT to be used in poultry "for any reason whatsoever" as it is toxic, and has a half life, etc. etc. Interestingly, she also said "I have very little knowledge of blackhead and have never treated for it." This is the Avian Board Certified Vet here in AZ. We chose to agree to disagree about the Baytril, and are staying the course. But, it illustrates quite well that everybody has an opinion, both on and off forums, that we are free to disagree with.

We need to worm, obviously, and we were told to pick up fenbenzadole in the turkey ration at the feed store. Dosage is 10-12 mg/kg for 3 days, every 30 days. Thoughts?

Lastly, I am building my own "Pea Palace". It's a 12x24 outdoor with 2, separate, 4x8 "indoor" areas to keep them out of weather, and to isolate them and keep them off of the ground as babies. One may act as a quarantine, if necessary, because the destroyed bathroom is something I'm cleaning up only once. I'll post pics this afternoon.

@Casport: We've talked extensively about Baytril, but we're committed at this point, and will re-evaluate the line-up of our stash once we get through this treatment. Thanks for all our insight and help through this.

We are taking the dead bird (#2) to get necropsied today and should have conclusive results.

Lastly, because of your incredible wealth of knowledge, collectively, I have shared this forum, and thread, with my vet, and if she chooses to participate, great, if not, she'll be reading this and taking in all of things that you all have recommended. Thanks again, everyone. I have two birds still alive! More importantly, I've learned how to prevent, recognize, and treat an outbreak of illness in my flock to prevent this from happening again. Honestly, my most sincere THANK YOU is not enough for you all.

Last edited:
I know I was too late to help, but I would like to say that the best way to say thank you is to stick with the forum and watch for others reporting similar symptoms. Then share your knowledge and the results of the necropsy. I think Baytril is one of the meds where you need to weight the risks againts the benefits. I don't know about birds, but it can cause blindness in cats.

The proper name for blackhead is histomoniasis, it's a protozoa.

Wouldn't blackhead be more prevalent in some areas where the grounds is more wet to support the host worm or insects?
Where i live the weather has changed drastically over the last 25 years, were don't get weekly rains like we use to, the wind blows all the time it seams making every thing even dryer, we are in a drought most all the time, these conditions do not support worms very well unless the soil is improved and watered.

Folks in my area have never had any cases of blackhead so i do believe it can be that it may be area specific what do you all think?

My peas will absolutely not eat a worm unless it is a home grown grub worms ,meal worms and they like caterpillars too.

Wasn't the Baytril perscribed for a secondary infection not to treat the blackhead ?

Sounds to me like you have a coccidia infection that has allowed a respiratory infection to set in. The yellow in the poop is the urates, they should be white. Often the yellow urates are the first sign of an infection so keep an eye on your pen floor. It means mean food intake is down.

Here is what i use for peafowl and turkeys.

Powdered Tylan in the water of the entire flock if one bird shows signs of illness. Dosage is 1 teaspoon per gallon. Mix a fresh batch each day. Treat for five days.

A bird who already shows "droop" and depression will not drink enough on its own to recover. It is already dehydrated. You can go ahead and cull or try to treat if you are willing to get hands on. To treat a sick adult size peafowl with ORAL administration of Tylan, you will need:

Nylon Feeding Syringe with long bent arm (I use a 30ml)
http://www.jefferspet.com/feeding-syringes/camid/LIV/cp/0026479/cn/31070/
You need long armed syringe such as this because you have to open the bird's mouth and insert it about 2 inched down the throat. This way you are sure to bypass the airway, which is a hole under the tongue.

EITHER Powdered Tylan or Tylan 200.

3ml 22ga. .75" syringes with needle if you are using the Tylan 200 because you have to draw it out of the bottle.

Separate the sick bird from the flock. Using the syringe, give the following 3 TIMES DAILY for 7 days:

Dosage Orally:

30 ml of the Tylan powder mixed with water solution (mix rate is 1 teaspoon/gallon) 3 times a day.

OR

Tylan 200 - 35mg/kg of the bird's weight mixed with enough water to make 30ml of fluid 3 times a day.
If you type lb to kg into google.com it will give you a calculator to convert pounds to kilograms. FOR EXAMPLE - If you have a 1.3 kg bird and you want to know how much tylan to give it at a dose of 35 mg/kg. You know that you need to multiply 35 mg x 1.3 as this is the weight (in kg) of the bird. This tells you that your bird needs (35mg/kg x 1.3kg = 45.5 mg). Now you know how many mg you bird needs, but how much tylan is that? Well, if there's 200 mg/ml in tylan 200, divide 45.5 mg by 200 mg/ml into to tell you how many ml you need. 45.5 mg / 200 mg/ml = .2275 ml which is 0.23 ml. A 3 ml syringe looks like this http://www.choa.org/Menus/Documents/Wellness/teachingsheets/medicine3ccsyringe.pdf each small line is .1 ml. so in this calculation you would need to draw .23 (just over 2 lines out of the tylan bottle)

Feeding: leave food and water available at all times (the medicated water if you are using the tylan power solution). I tell you that you can increase the likelihood of survival by mixing enough water with feed granules that you can mold little wet feed balls and opening the bird's mouth, placing behind the tongue and gently pushing down the throat with your finger. You can use your fingers to work them all the way down to the crop. Do this a few times a day, enough to fill half the crop. Again, be sure to avoid the airway under the tongue. If you absolutely cannot find the long arm syringe, mix the appropriate medicine dosage with the food to administer in balls.

Coccidia is all around in the soil. I feed a medicated game bird feed now to prevent this.

I have never used it, but this product is also labeled for coccidia in gamebirds.
http://www.jefferspet.com/di-methox-soluble/camid/LIV/cp/A2-DA/

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Last edited:
I am going to pass on some really great information a poulty enthusiast gave me back in 2006 when I started raising turkeys and peafowl. Turkeys and peafowl get the same diseases so here are the basics:

CORONAVIRAL ENTERITIS OF TURKEYS

Also called “bluecomb,” “transmissible enteritis” and “mud fever”.

Acute, highly contagious disease of turkeys, characterized by sudden onset, marked depression, anorexia, diarrhea, dehydration, and weight loss.
Complicated by secondary infections with other viral, bacterial, and protozoal organisms. Environmental stresses may also contribute to severity of disease.

Transmission:
Infection acquired via direct or indirect contact, or contaminated premises.
After recovery, turkeys are immune to challenge, but carriers for life.

Clinical signs:
Appear cold, chirp constantly, seek heat.
Morbidity and mortality may reach 100%.
Cyanosis of the head is common.
Severe drop in egg production, and eggs may have chalky shells.

BLACKHEAD (HISTOMONIASIS, ENTEROHEPATITIS)

Birds affected
Birds affected are: turkeys, peafowl, guinea fowl, pheasant and chickens
Most blackhead losses occur in young birds (six to sixteen weeks). Among the symptoms are loss of appetite, increased thirst, droopiness, drowsiness, darkening of the facial regions and diarrhea. Morbidity and mortality are variable, but mortality seldom exceeds fifteen percent; however, it may approach one-hundred percent in uncontrolled turkey outbreaks. Losses are usually low in chickens.

Blackhead is an acute or chronic protozoan disease of fowl, primarily affecting the cecae and liver. called Histomonas meleagridis

The disease is present wherever poultry are raised
It is a parasite organism called a protozoa, and is a distant cousin of the coccidia parasite
For the disease to spread amongst fowl the flock must also be infected with the caecal worm
This worm survives in the fowl yard soil, earthworms
This disease affects the large intestine, then attacks the liver
The chooks bowl is eaten by the parasite and then it attacks the liver
When the chooks die their heads go black, hence the name

Turkeys:
Blackhead is one of the critical diseases of growing turkeys and game birds
It is carried by an intestinal parasite and the symptoms are:- loss of condition, drowsy appearance, ruffled feathers, and diarrhoea, sometimes mixed with blood.
It may cause stunted growth, poor feed utilization and death.

It is of lesser economic importance in chickens since they are more resistant, but the incidence in chickens apparently is increasing

Occasionally the caruncles of the turkey may become dark blue or purple (hence the name black head)

If you have an outbreak, dead birds and their droppings must be burned
All utensils should be disinfected daily and, where possible, quick lime should be applied to the run

To prevent an outbreak, Turkeys should not be run with fowls, and young turkeys should not be run in contact with adult birds

If this is not possible, then chicks and hens should be kept on clean dry, well-drained pasture and move about frequently

Symptoms
Birds develop foamy yellow diarrhoea and sit huddled up
They appear depressed and ill
They stop eating and get very thin
Increased thirst
Droopiness
Drowsiness
Darkening of the facial region
The birds can be so ill, that their wattle and comb goes blue (thus the name blackhead)
If not treated the birds usually die
Any sulphur coloured foamy droppings should be considered as blackhead, even if the bird is not showing any other signs of the disease
Blackhead acts as an immune suppressor, which will allow other diseases to have greater effect on your bird’s health
It may cause stunted growth, poor feed utilization and then death

Transmission

The organism in passed in the fecal material of infected birds. In many instances, the organism is shed within the eggs of the cecal worm of chickens, turkeys and game birds. Free-living blackhead organisms do not survive long in nature, but those in cecal worm eggs may survive for years. Therefore, most blackhead transmission is considered due to ingesting infected cecal worm eggs. Transmission may also occur by the earthworm.

Chickens are frequently infected without showing signs of the disease. These chickens may shed enormous numbers of blackhead organisms, many of which are protected by cecal worm eggs. Outbreaks in turkeys can often be traced to direct or indirect contact with ranges, houses or equipment previously used by chickens. Free-flying birds may also contribute to an infection.

Losses

Most blackhead losses occur in young birds (six to sixteen weeks).
Morbidity and mortality are variable, but mortality seldom exceeds fifteen percent; however, it may approach one-hundred percent in uncontrolled turkey outbreaks. Losses are usually low in chickens

Prevention

Good management practices can do much to control the blackhead problem. Do not keep birds of different species on the same premises. Do not range turkeys on ground previously used by chickens unless several years have elapsed. Rotate ranges periodically if possible. Cecal worm control is necessary to reduce blackhead incidence. Wire or slatted floors reduce exposure.

Good management is the only effective method of preventing this disease since many of the effective drugs used in past years are no longer available commercially. Drugs that reduce the presence of cecal worms, and thus reduce the infection rate, are available but do not have an effect on the Histomonas organism. Refer to the cecal worm section for recommended control practices.

Necropsy
Lesions of uncomplicated blackhead are confined to the cecae and liver, thus the reason for the synonymous term, enterohepatitis.
The cecae are ballooned and walls may be thickened, necrotic and ulcerated.
Caseous (cheesy) cores within the cecae may be blood tinged.
Peritonitis may be present if ulcers have perforated the ceca walls.
Livers are swollen and display circular depressed areas of necrosis about one-half inch in diameter.
Smaller lesions coalesce to form larger ones.
Lesions are yellowish to yellow-green and extend deeply into the underlying liver tissue. Healing lesions may resemble those seen in visceral leukosis.
Blackhead diagnosis is made readily on the basis of the lesions.
Atypical forms, particularly in chickens, must be differentiated from cecal coccidiosis and Salmonella infections in particular.
Medications may interfere with atypical lesions.
Laboratory tests may be required for positive diagnosis in such cases.

Treatment:
Dose birds with EMETRYL (Active ingredient Dimetridiazole) at the dosage recommended by the manufacturer or use Hepzide, Enhaptin –always follow vet advice & read label recommendations before giving any medication
You can only get it these from a veterinarian
It is important to worm your flock every eight to twelve weeks using an efficient wormer eg. Levamisole at the manufacturers dose rate
Do not mix it with any other medication

Treat for blackhead first – EMETRYL
Then treat for worms – Levamisole
Without proper worming treatments, blackhead will be a recurring problem

References used in this article are
Book - A Guide to Keeping Poultry In Australia: by Dorothy Reading
And
http://www.msstate.edu/dept/poultry/index.htm

BLUE SKIN - CYANOSIS

This is seen in any severe condition of the bloodstream when bacteria (septicaemia) or viruses (viraemia) are circulating.

In diseases such as Newcastle disease, wattles may sometimes show a bluish discoloration.

BIOTIN DEFICIENCY, INCLUDING FATTY LIVER AND KIDNEY SYNDROME
Introduction
Biotin deficiency has occured in turkeys and chickens in many countries but is now rare in birds consuming properly formulated feeds. Reduced feed intake and blood sugar can precipitate fatty liver and kidney syndrome.

Signs
Poor growth.
Leg weakness.
Scabs around eyes and beak.
Thickened skin under foot pad, in embryos, webbing between toes.
Chondrodystrophy.
Sudden deaths in fatty liver and kidney syndrome.

ERYSIPELAS

Erysipelothrix rhusiopathiae (same organism that causes swine disease). Facultatively anaerobic and extracellular.
Occurs sporadically, most economically important in turkeys.

Transmission:
Ingestion, through skin breaks, through mucous membranes, and mechanically by insects. Shed in feces.

Clinical signs:
Acute septicemia resulting in sudden death (mortality 1-50%). Depression and unsteady gait may be seen prior to death. Rare chronic form with cutaneous lesions and swollen hocks. Vegetative endocarditis may occur in turkeys.
Suspect in flocks that have been artificially inseminated 4-5 days before an episode of death without clinical signs.

TURKEY RHINOTRACHEITIS VIRUS

Pneumovirus (in the family paramyxoviridae).
Also seen in chickens.
Secondary E.coli infections can increase mortality.

Transmission:
Direct contact, and possibly also aerosol and fomite transfer

Clinical signs:
Growing – Respiratory signs (rales, sneezing, frothy nasal discharge, foamy conjunctivitis, swelling of infraorbital sinuses, submandibular edema).
Laying – Reduced feed consumption and decreased egg production.
Chickens (broilers) – Mild respiratory signs followed by swollen heads.

HEXAMITIASIS (INFECTIOUS CATARRHAL ENTERITIS)

Hexamitiasis is an acute infectious disease of turkeys, quail, ducks, chukar partridges and pigeons. Heavy losses have been reported in one outbreak in ring-necked pheasants. Chickens apparently are not affected.

Hexamitiasis is a problem in every commercial turkey-producing area. It may be a major problem in localized areas during a particular year, followed by one or more years in which incidence is low.

Hexamitiasis is caused by a one-celled parasite of the genus Hexamita. Hexamita meleagridis is the cause in turkeys; in pigeons it is Hexamita columbae. Experimentally, the Hexamita of turkeys can be transmitted to young quail, chicks and ducklings, and that of quail and partridges can be transmitted to poults. However, poults cannot be infected with the organism isolated from pigeons.

This disease is found primarily in young birds, and outbreaks seldom occur in poults past ten or eleven weeks. Losses are most severe in birds three to five weeks old. Apparently, resistance develops rapidly with increasing age, regardless of previous exposure.
The primary infection source is droppings from carrier birds. About a third of recovered birds become carriers. Most outbreaks result from a buildup of organisms through several broods of poults, making exposure of the following brood overwhelming. Indirect transmission may result from fecal material carried from one location to another on shoes or equipment. Free-flying birds also may be carriers.

Primary symptoms are listlessness and foamy or watery diarrhea with rapid weight loss due to the dehydrating effect. Birds often huddle together near the heat source and cry or "chirp" constantly as though in pain. Convulsions due to lowered blood sugar levels shortly precede death. Affected birds suffer losses in weight and survivors remain stunted.
Dehydration and emaciation are the principal gross lesions. Muscles are dark and dry. The intestine usually appears to have lost muscle-tone. Intestinal contents are usually thin and watery, or may contain mucus.

Diagnosis depends upon history, symptoms and microscopic examination of intestinal contents. A definite diagnosis cannot be made unless typical flagellated organisms can be detected in intestinal contents of the duodenum. Most flagellate organisms in the cecae are not disease producers.
Reference: http://www.msstate.edu/dept/poultry/index.htm

PASTEURELLA

Riemerella (Pasteurella) anatipestifer
Can cause sudden increases in mortality in turkeys, with consolidated lungs on necropsy.

Transmission:
Infection may be through injuries, or via respiratory tract (when another organism has disrupted the epithelium).

Clinical signs:
Turkeys are usually 5-15 weeks old. Dyspnea, droopiness, hunched back, lameness, twisted neck.

PULLORUM DISEASE

Pullorum disease is an acute or chronic infectious, bacterial disease affecting primarily chickens and turkeys, but most domestic and wild fowl can be infected.
The cause is a bacterium named Salmonella pullorum. This organism is primarily egg transmitted, but transmission may occur by other means such as:
Pullorum disease is highly fatal to young chicks or poults, but mature birds are more resistant. Young birds may die soon after hatching without exhibiting any observable signs. Most acute outbreaks occur in birds that are under three weeks of age. Mortality in such outbreaks may approach ninety percent if untreated. Survivors are usually stunted and unthrifty. Infection in young birds may be indicated by droopiness, ruffled feathers, a chilled appearance with birds huddling near a source of heat, labored breathing, and presence of a white diarrhea with a "pasted-down" appearance around the vent. The white diarrhea symptom instigated the term "bacillary white diarrhea" that was commonly associated with this disease at one time. Gross lesions may be lacking in some adult birds.

INFECTIOUS BURSAL DISEASE VIRUS

Birnavirus also called "gumboro disease"

Most pathogenic in commercial layer chickens.
Type I is a pathogen of chickens, which particularly compromises the humoral immune system. Turkeys are affected by type II disease.

Transmission:
Shed in feces and transferred between facilities via fomites. Very stable and difficult to eradicate.

Clinical signs:
Infections before 3 weeks of age are usually subclinical. Economic losses are most important in this group. Severe, long-lasting immunosuppression due to destruction of immature lymphocytes in the bursa, thymus, and spleen. Most susceptible to clinical disease at 3-6 weeks. This group exhibits severe prostration, incoordination, watery diarrhea, soiled vent feathers, vent picking, and inflammation of the cloaca.

AVIAN COLIFORM INFECTIONS (COLIBACILLOSIS)

E.coli is a frequent secondary invader of poultry of all ages, especially young broilers and turkeys, after respiratory infections or any other disease.

There is poor growth, increased FCR and the damage to the respiratory tract and body cavity can result in high processing rejects.

Mortality can be considerable.

Antibiotics may provide reasonable treatment.

ASPERGILOSIS

Due to the inhalation of spores of various fungi.

This causes lesions in the respiratory tract with obvious respiratory distress.

Occasionally there is infection of the brain.

AIR SAC DISEASE

Also known as CRS. Cold, Infectious Sinusitis, Airsacculitis, one form of colibacillosis and/or mycoplasmosis)

It affects chickens and turkeys of all ages
It is transmitted through hatching eggs, also by contact with infected birds, it is also transmitted from birds that seem healthy but are in fact carriers

Cause
Bacteria – this is a common disease
Escherichia coli and Mycoplasma Gallisepti***
Often occurs in combination with or following vaccination for chronic respiratory disease, infectious bronchitis, infectious laryngotracheitis, Newcastle disease

Symptoms
Coughing, sneezing, runny nose
Stress or secondary infection can increase the severity of the symptoms
Breathing difficulties at 5 – 12 weeks old
Loss of appetite
Rapid weight loss
Birds tend to stand around with their eyes closed
Stunted growth

INFECTIOUS BURSAL DISEASE VIRUS

Also known as:
Gumboro Disease; Birnavirus; IBD

Symptoms:
Chicks

Infections before 3 weeks of age are usually subclinical.
Economic losses are most important in this group.
Severe, long-lasting immunosuppression due to destruction of immature lymphocytes in the bursa, thymus, and spleen.
Most susceptible to clinical disease at 3-6 weeks.
This group exhibits severe prostration, incoordination, watery diarrhea, soiled vent feathers, vent picking, and inflammation of the cloaca.

Chicks 3 to 18 weeks

Droopiness
Ruffled feathers
Vent picking (bird picks at own vent)
Diarrhea staining feathers below vent (making litter sticky)
Slight trembling
Loss of appetite
Dehydration
Straining to poo
In coordination
Fever followed by drop in body temperature
Prostration
Death

Treatment:
No treatment.
Depopulation and rigorous disinfections have limited success.
Live vaccines can be given by eye drop, water, or SQ (1-21 days of age).
Can also vaccinate breeder flocks (first with live vaccine, then with inactivated one just before egg production).
Keep the birds warm and well ventilated, and provide plenty of drinking water
Recovered chickens are more susceptible to other diseases, and may not develop immune response to vaccines, especially Marek’s

Postmortem Finding:
Cloacal bursa is swollen, edematous, yellowish, and sometimes hemorrhagic.
May also see congestion and hemorrhage of the pectoral, thigh, and leg muscles.
Kidney lesions are sometimes seen (excessive urate deposits).
Chickens that have recovered have small, atrophied cloacal bursas.
Sometimes none significant or dark shriveled breast muscles flecked with bloody streaks
Mucus filled intestine
Cloacal bursa may be yellow, pink or red, or black, swollen, oblong-shaped, filled with creamy or cheesy material and surrounded by gelatinous film (as the disease progresses, the bursa returns to normal size, then shrinks and shrivels up)
Swollen spleen covered with gray dots
Birds that die from inflection have swollen, pale kidneys

Cause:
Most pathogenic in commercial layer chickens.
Type I is a pathogen of chickens, which particularly compromises the humoral immune system.
Turkeys are affected by type II disease
Birnavirus that affects primarily chickens and is common in every major poultry producing area
Survives in feed for weeks
Survives in water for weeks
Survives in droppings for weeks
Survives in housing for at least 4 months after removal of infected birds

Transmission:
Shed in feces and transferred between facilities via fomites.
Very stable and difficult to eradicate
Highly contagious
Spread from infected birds through their dropping in contaminated litter and dust in air
Spread from equipment use
Spread in the feed
Spread on shoes
Spread by insects
Spread by rodents
Spread by wild birds
May be spread by the darkling beetle or lesser mealworm (Alphitobius diaperinus) found in the litter

Prevention:
Good sanitation, virus defies good management and is difficult to eradicate; vaccinated breeders pass temporary immunity to their chicks natural immunity develops in chicks exposed to infection before the age of 2 weeks vaccinate only where disease is prevalent

Diagnosis:
Clinical course and necropsy findings. Most readily isolated from the bursa of Fabricius (but may be isolated from any organ).

DDx: Coccidiosis

References:
Reference: The Poultry Site – http://www.thepoultrysite.com
Reference: The Chicken Health Handbook – by Gail Damerow

Last edited:
Worming medications...

Coumaphos (Meldane)
Large round worms - Capillary worms - Cecal worms
0.003 percent
For 14 days
Feed additive
Never use within 3 weeks of a previous worming

Droncit
Tapeworm
Tablets
crush tablet and put into a mixture of 4 bits of rolled oats and drizzle of honey...make into a pellet and force feed the bird... off first to see if she will eat it without force feeding sometimes they do ... but if she doesn't want to eat it.. then you will have to force feed it to her...you may need to make up two small pellets

Flubenvet
Worms
1 teaspoon to 5 kg of dry feed, mix, allow bird to eat the feed
Powder added to feed

Hygromycin B
Large round worms
Capillary worms
Cecal worms
Added continually into mash at a rate of 0.00088 – 0.00132 percent
Feed additive
Withdrawal period is 7 days

Ivermectin for beef or sheep
Worms and external parasites
Sml bird – 4 drops
Med bird – 6 drops
Lge bird – 8 drops
Apply to skin at back on neck only
Not FDA approved for poultry

Ivermectin injection
Wide variety of internal and external parasites
EXCLUDING
Fluke and tapeworm

¼ cc can be given orally – large bird
Up to 7 drops for a bantam
Does not treat tapeworms or flukes

Levamisole (tetramisole)
Capillary worms
Gape worms
Wide variety of nematodes
10 ml per gallon of water
1 day only
Affects the nervous system of the parasite, paralysing the worm

Levamisole Injectable (tetramisole)
Capillary worms
Gape worms
Inject subcutaneously (beneath the skin) one time only at the rate of 25 mg per 2 pounds of body weight (25mg/kg)

Mebendazole
Spiral stomach worms
Common round worms
Thorny headed worms
10 mg for each 2 pounds of body weight (10mg/kg)
For 3 days
Is based on thiabendazole

Meldane see Coumaphos
Large round worms
Capillary worms
Cecal worms
0.003 percent
For 14 days
Feed additive
Never use within 3 weeks of a previous worming
Withdrawal period is 7 days

Moxidectin/Cydectin
Worms and external parasites
10 ml per 1 litre of water
Two days

Nilverm (Levamisole)
For the treatment of sensitive strains of round worms in Pigs and Poultry
Large round worm
Cecal worm
Hair worm
Capillary worm
Gape worm
5 ml per litre of water

or

10 ml per gallon of water
1 day only
For one day only

Phenothiazine
Cecal worms only
0.05 grams per bird for 1 day only
Withdrawal 7 days
Very toxic

Piperazine
Large round worms
Oral dose of 50 to 100 mg per bird
Given once only
Paralyses worms

Piperazine
Large round worms
10 ml to 1 litre of water or
3 ml per gallon of water
Paralyses worms
Give for 4 hours
Repeat dose in 10 to 14 days
Withdrawal 7 days

Prazivet
Tapeworm
5 ml to 1 litre of water

Tetramisole – see Levamisole

Thiabendazole
Gape worms
Common round worms
0.5 percent for 14 days
Individual treatment calls for 75 mg for each 2 pounds of bird’s weight (75mg/kg)
Feed additive
Due to its extended treatment period, thiabendazole is effective against emerging worm larvae as well as adult parasites
Withdrawal is very short as this drug moves through the birds really fast

Tramizo
Worms
20 mg per bird per day for 1 to 2 days
or 1 gm per gallon water

Wazine
Worms

Same as Piperazine

Back
Top Bottom