Need help to save a chick

13Bettys

Songster
Mar 7, 2017
Pinson, TN
I bought 15 chicks from the feed store today. I believe they are 2 days old. On of my Speckled Sussex chicks won’t really open her eyes, won’t eat, only drinking from syringe and is very weak. I am holding her against my chest with my hand around her for now but I want to do everything I can to save her. Please help!!

Get some Poultry NutriDrench or SaveAChick electrolytes right away. PND can be given orally a drop at a time, or the SAC can be mixed into water. Dip her beak for a second, let her swallow, and repeat as often as possible. Check her bottom for pasty butt or poo.

Try feeding her some of these...............

-Scrambled egg (I've tried it, this works!)
-Boiled water with sage(I've also tried this and it works too!)
-Sugar water(I haven't tried it but I know you need to use it short term to avoid pasty butt)
-Egg yolk mixed with water ( Never tried this, but it's supposed to work miracles!)
-Molasses and water (Never tried it, short term, can lead to pasty butt!)

I had a weak chick who was lying on its side, not breathing, dead. I put him under a hair drier for an hour holding him, and now he's one of my chicks who's thriving the most. when I did this he was only one day old, so it may not work for you.

Thank you. I will definitely try. Now I have a different one panting like crazy! This is my 4th batch of chicks and I have never had any of this before.

Also the one who won’t open her eyes only walks backwards until she hits a corner then she stops. The others were all over her so I don’t want to keep her in there until she’s a little better.

He might be overheated if he's panting.Also, you might want to put a friend in with the separated chick, they learn by watching others.

E293E3B0-951B-4DF4-AB5F-E10C3A8F34C4.jpeg
This is where I have her for now. I read it can help. I’m going to try to get her to eat a little more egg yolk and water then will see how she’s doing. I have already seen some improvements. When she can stand strong on her own I will put her back with the rest and watch her to see how she does.

The one that was panting is doing fine now. I’m keeping a close eye on all of them. I have their box beside where I’m sitting

How long did you do this? (Keeping chick close to you) I don’t want to over do it and her not be able to adapt to being with the other chicks but she’s still very wobbly and I don’t want to put her with the others yet.

Back
Top Bottom