Need help, wife wants Turkeys!

tnchicken

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 2, 2009
My wife wants to start a self sustaining flock and I would prefer something for meat only if we get any. Hence, she is wanting heritage and me probably a "one and done" broad breasted variety. Any help would be appreciated and I have a few specific questions.

What breed do you prefer? and which hatchery do you prefer?
How long to grow out to a

Quote:
This is right. The broad breasted birds are not self breeders so if you plan to have a self sustaining flock I highly suggest heritage bronze or royal palms. If you want something a bit more pleasing to the eye then go with Sweetgrass or narragansett turkeys
wink.png
All are quite nice and produce good meat birds.

I also would say suggest you buy some poults from a local grower and not a hatchery. You will eliminat alot of stress on the birds and cut down on potential problems that way.

I have three breeds and have several mutts I just hatched. If you think chickens were addictive........watch out. Turkeys are in my opinion a lot more interesting than chickens. I have both, and love both, but the turkeys are just fabulous. As far as breeds, my favorite thus far is the narragansette. I have bronze and bourbon reds as well. Im wanting some sweetgrass and some tiger bronzes. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom