Need help with 4-H form

marvun22

Songster
7 Years
Jul 8, 2012
North Dakota
Last year my son had a cloverbud form and I helped him with it (He doesn't know the most about anything, I do the work). Here is some pictures and I need some help.
Here is says Breed/Strain/Variety. What do some of these phrase mean. My son is brining a Pekin duck. Do I (he's expecting me to write this up or at least tell him what to write) write "Metzer Farms Pekin Duck (as in female). Do I only write a couple of breeds since there isn't room on that to write every breed of duck. I understand the rest.

There were no vaccinations performed. Do I leave it blank or do I write "no vaccinations were required" or something like that.

Feed Record. How do I explain this. I have 13 ducks, 2 Geese, and around 20 chickens. They all share the same feed and eat out of the same feeder. I have gone through tons of bags of feed since I got them. What do I write?

Now it talks about income. Should I even bother to list the chicken eggs I have sold, especially considering I'm not sure if I legally did that? I'm assuming this is income I made from the ducks I listed.

I know income is $0. How can I calculate the expenses? I buy bags of feed for the chickens, ducks, and geese. They all share the same feed in the same food bowl. And for total expenses, should I include the price of the duck. And is this total expenses for my 1 show duck, or the whole duck flock.

Summary of birds raised. I'm assuming everything I own is market poultry. Will they dock me because my Pekin is not breeding? They can't look that much different. Wait, actually most of my chickens are egg production. Wait again. My Pekins aren't for market, but they're not for breeding. I'm not selling them and I'm not breeding them. They're just here to be pets.

Lastly here are the what I learned questions. What would my goals be. I just wanted some ducks. What else do I list. I didn't choose my birds, they came from Metzer's. What could a highlight be? What is an example of what I could've done different in this project? It says what are my plans. Would they hold it against me if I stated I wanted to get some White Muscovies from celticoaks for next year and that didn't work out.

Sorry about this, just wanting to get my 1st year 4-H guy off on the right track. Most of these once I know I will never ask again.

Last edited:
Fill out the basic information that you can. Write all the breeds of duck that you'd like until the form is filled out. Write N/A for vaccinations and any other missing information that you don't know. Write out an estimate for the feed you use and say you mix your own feed, estimate the cost of what you feed all of your flock and treat them as one unit. For example, you could buy a bag of 50lb duck feed for $20 and say that feeds your flock for 4 weeks, then for 6 months of that feed it costed you $120. The judges are looking at the potential of your duck as a breeding bird, just because you aren't breeding your duck now, doesn't mean you won't or can't in the future, mark the pekins are show animals and for eggs (pekin ducks are a dual purpose breed).

"Your goal was to raise healthy ducks that would make friendly pets and lay eggs. You looked for healthy ducklings that had naturally good dispositions, bright eyes and didn't have faults like broken toes or splayed leg. The highlight of your project was learning the poultry showmanship. You would have adding a greater variety of breeds to your project. Next year you plan on showing more animals and improving the ducks you have now with an even better generation."

Or something like the above.

Have an awesome day and please ask question of BYC if you ever have any. This is a great place where people can help you with your questions! Good luck for your little tot and I hope he does well!

Back
Top Bottom