Need help with a name!!

She's a very pretty dog. Well, when we first got Mac we had another male dog that was 8 years old and smaller. He was aggressive towards him, and we had to put Mac in a pen and just take him out to walk him. We would put him on one leash and the other dog on another leash and if one started to growl we would take him away. He was never aggressive towards female dogs. I think they're just territorial and protective. As he got older they could be together more, and eventually the older male dog died. We haven't kept Mac penned up since then, and we just have one other dog(small female). Now he's only food aggressive towards other animals. Maybe Josie will mellow out as she gets older. You may have to try separating them. How old is Zuzu?

Last edited:
Zuzu is two. I have a long chain and I take turns chaining them up while we are outside because with my daughter I am worried they will break out in a fight with her in between. She is one and just wants to walk over there and pet/play with them. It makes me worry sick lately if I have both of them off a chain. Because to me it is random. I keep watching all of these dog video's/shows trying to understand my Josie, but it is so confusing. I don't know what sets her off. Yet I hate chaining up a dog. It isn't right to tie one up every time we are outside. We are outside a lot. We have a lot of land where we garden and have chickens.We spend a lot of time outside on walks (we have 40 acres) and down by the pond. It makes me sad they can't be together. I always have to leave one behind.

Im sorry to hear that. Maybe you could start taking Josie with you on a leash. They may get used to each other. Probably right now they're just trying to establish who's boss. After he got older Mac didn't attack our other male anymore. He would just stand over him and growl and the other would lay down. If you're really scared they're going to hurt your daughter you may have to give up Josie and get a smaller more submissive dog to keep Zuzu company. I hope they start getting along.

Thanks. I hope it doesn't come to that. I might try letting them meet somewhere
(both on leashes) on common ground, maybe a dog park. Maybe if they start hanging out somewhere other than home they wont see each other as threats. Thanks for the advice!!

Dogs can be complicated in their "pecking order". Sounds like Josie wants you all for herself.
We had a lab mix named Cleo who was in heat and a fixed spaniel mix who was in heat (though fixed) and Cleo attempted to kill her. The spaniel got a few bites, but thankfully some one was there to try to stop them. It was very vicious, and we had to find a new home for Cleo.
However, in most cases of dog vs. dog aggression, we just tell them to stop, tapping them on the neck and telling them "no". Sometimes they need to put on the ground, like a wolf does to another wolf, so that they get the point. We let our dogs work out their pack, but we don't allow fighting.
They still fight sometimes, but we catch them and tell them no fast, they get a big punishment (we grab their scruff firmly (not painfully unless it is to pull them apart) and force them to lie down and submit) for fighting, especially over things like food. Our dogs mainly fight over food, but we have one dog who just likes to fight whenever she hears another dog growling. She needs to be kept in line regularly because she just enjoys fights.
All and all, our dogs are very loving, sweet, loyal, and a ton of fun to be around. They just need to understand who is the boss.
Besides, its better then with wolves. If a wolf considers its pack leader too weak to lead, they mob together and kill them! I wouldn't want that to happen, especially since I'm their leader.

I hope the two learn to get along. Good luck!
thumbsup.gif

Our dogs posing for a picture (the little white one is the girl who loves fighting, the spaniel on the right is the one who got beat-up. They're are two girls. Girl dogs love fighting way more then boys, and their fights are WAY more serious).

Cleo, posing for a picture after a hair-cut and bath

Back
Top Bottom