need help with a sick easter egger hen

mlezjello

Hatching
9 Years
Oct 7, 2010
hi all-
i have a 15 month old laying easter egger hen, and i need some help determining how to treat her illness.

yesterday, i noticed she was less active than usual. last night, she was in the coop, not moving from her nesting box, but still sitting erect. she was holding her right eye closed, though when prodded, she opened it, and it looked completely normal. she did not take any food or drink when i brought out the nightly scraps to the flock. her stools were watery. this morning, she seems exactly the same. she has taken to sitting alone, under the coop, still not moving around. i tossed her some food, but she is not pecking at it. she seems disoriented.

she is the most passive hen in my small flock (7 birds). there are no other visible signs of illness that i can see, nor do i detect any injury. the other birds seem fine.

anyone have ideas for what i can do for her? i'm still new to chickens, and i really don't know what to do. with the hurricane coming our way tomorrow, i have only today to get supplies to help treat her.

i really appreciate any advice!

gratefully,
emily

yes, i checked, and she wasn't. i'm heartbroken that she passed away this afternoon. it was so fast. one of her sisters is showing early signs of the same thing, and we're going to try to get her to the vet in the morning, before the hurricane hits us here. i feel sick to my stomach with sorrow and worry.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom