Need help with a stubborn hen

If it were my problem, if that limb could be cut I would take it down. All the limbs on that tree that were accessible to her, gone. Then if she goes to another tree, then I'd continue with what ur doin and lock her in. Does she roost there in that tree by herself?
It kind of sounded to me like you were suggesting continuing to cut off limbs if she chose to keep roosting in the trees...

LOL....just picturing someone cutting down all the limbs in a wooded area...SMH. Silly.

Welcome to BYC @TNbear23 !!
I'd go with locking down for a longer period of time for now.

But, would ask for more info......
.....to maybe figure out why she chooses to roost in the trees,
it's hard to solve a problem unless you know why it occurred.

How many birds, what ages, and how long have you had them?
How big is your coop and run(feet by feet)?
How much roost length do you have(in feet)?
Pics of coop/run inside and out would help too.
DH suggested we cut the limb, but that limb provides shade over the coop and she may just find another tree. I have thought about why she maybe doing this with no clear answer. All the other bird go in and pick a spot to sleep. Roo has a permanent (favorite spot in front of the window). They haven't had anything get in and scare them and I don't think bugs are a problem because everyone else goes in without a problem. She is the only one trying to roost in the tree. For the last week I have been going out before dusk and herding everyone in with a treat and she will go in without a problem and go into the coop to sleep. Just seems if she is left to decide for herself she will choose the tree....stubborn hen.
he.gif

I have 10 birds, 2 of unknown age ( stubborn hen & Roo) got them in May 2015, 3 - 11 months old and 5 - 5 month old.
my coop is approx 4 x 8. I have 2 runs, one is aprox 8 x 8 and the other is about 3 x 20 (tunnel type). They are primarily free range.
Their roost is 8 ft long, it runs the length of the coop.
Don't have any pics at the moment.

She could be low hen and that's why she's roosting elsewhere.

Coop space is tight for 10 birds.....
.....and 8' roost for 10 birds may work out fine,
but usually 1' per bird is recommended, they can sleep on less but need some extra room to jostle for position.

Roosting time is prime time for pecking order battles...I call it The Roosttime Rumble......
.....there is almost always bickering even in a spacious coop with generous roost length.

You might try installing another roost slightly lower and see if that helps.
You might also lure them into the coop and then watch them settle for the night....see what happens with stubborn hen.

She could be low hen and that's why she's roosting elsewhere.

Coop space is tight for 10 birds.....
.....and 8' roost for 10 birds may work out fine,
but usually 1' per bird is recommended, they can sleep on less but need some extra room to jostle for position.

Roosting time is prime time for pecking order battles...I call it The Roosttime Rumble......
.....there is almost always bickering even in a spacious coop with generous roost length.

You might try installing another roost slightly lower and see if that helps.
You might also lure them into the coop and then watch them settle for the night....see what happens with stubborn hen.
I have been tossing around ideas to increase the roosting space and increasing the number of nesting boxes. I didn't think the coop was too small, they don't spend much time in there. I recently built it, guess I will have to think of expanding it too considering I have a Broody on 10 egg. Well I guess it is back to the drawing board. Thanks for the insight.

Have you given any thought to the suggestion of trimming the feathers of one wing if she is flying to roost in the tree. I hate to do things like that to my chickens but desperate measures are due to desperate situations

Have you given any thought to the suggestion of trimming the feathers of one wing if she is flying to roost in the tree. I hate to do things like that to my chickens but desperate measures are due to desperate situations
She was given to me grown and won't let me near her. I guess I could catch her. I have never trimmed flight feathers. I'm sure there are instructions on here and the more I think about it that might be a really good idea. If she can't fly, she can't get in the tree. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom