Need help with broken or fractured duck leg ❤️‍🩹

Duckmoon

Hatching
Apr 25, 2022
Need help or advice! Poor little Fani got herself tangled in some fencing. We think her leg may be broken or fractured. Not sure how to tell. It’s swollen and she isn’t using it.( If you can see in photos it’s more at the top part of her leg.)Made a splint out of popsicle sticks and have her resting inside. Is there anything she can be given for pain? Does anyone have knowledge or experience with duck legs? Any advice is welcome. We love her and want to do whatever we can to ensure she heals up properly.

Thank you!

Attachments

• EEC20479-F9D6-40F7-ACA6-727F585AF1BF.jpeg
    EEC20479-F9D6-40F7-ACA6-727F585AF1BF.jpeg
    546.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 684C7B5B-3911-4FE9-B392-A344098C335A.jpeg
    684C7B5B-3911-4FE9-B392-A344098C335A.jpeg
    451.8 KB · Views: 16
  • CC9FF807-AFE9-4978-A7AC-B88947CCD1F4.jpeg
    CC9FF807-AFE9-4978-A7AC-B88947CCD1F4.jpeg
    357.7 KB · Views: 16
How is Fani doing? Is she able to get around with the splint?

My experience with duck leg issues is limited and hasn't gone well. But the circumstances were different. Paige had nerve damage from being egg bound, and Fran developed an infection from a cut foot. The cut was so small, I didn't even notice it. There is ONE vet in the area who is good with poultry, and she discovered the injury and gave antibiotics and pain meds.

Best wishes for your girl!

You can give her baby aspirin for pain for up to 3 days. As to whether or not it’s broken, it’s hard to tell without having hands on the duck. I hope she feels better soon.

Need help or advice! Poor little Fani got herself tangled in some fencing. We think her leg may be broken or fractured. Not sure how to tell. It’s swollen and she isn’t using it.( If you can see in photos it’s more at the top part of her leg.)Made a splint out of popsicle sticks and have her resting inside. Is there anything she can be given for pain? Does anyone have knowledge or experience with duck legs? Any advice is welcome. We love her and want to do whatever we can to ensure she heals up properly.

Thank you!
Did she heal? How is she walking now? I have a duck that we believe had a run-in with a predator and now has a broken leg (2 other ducks disappeared the same evening before I went to lock them up for the night). The foot looks completely limp like your duck, but since I splinted and wrapped it, she is standing more and eating and drinking more. I've healed lots of chicken and duck things, but I haven't dealt with a broken leg before, so I'm not sure what to expect in terms of healing and getting around if it does heal.

Back
Top Bottom