Nerve damage/fractured leg?

DuckChick758

Chirping
Mar 10, 2023
Oregon
Anyone have any experience healing a duck (or chicken) with injured/broken leg?

One of my ducks - of course my favorite one - somehow managed to get her foot caught 3ft up on a fence and she was found hanging there. No idea how it happened. She was non-weight bearing the first day - all she did was lay down and drag her body with her wings :(

By day two she was standing up periodically, but mostly using her good leg. I did take her to the vet the morning after it happened. She’s on antibiotics and pain relief. He thought it was nerve damage plus a possible fracture, but figured an xray likely wouldn’t change the treatment plan, so we are keeping her in a quiet place inside, doing 2-3x a day Epsom salt soaks and time floating in the bath…mostly just giving her time to heal.

Just wondering if anyone has had a duck or chicken recover from something like this and how it went? Anything else that helped you treat them? Did they heal up ok?

2 weeks ago, something got into my coop, either dogs or coyotes, killed three hens and took my roo.
Left one injured, she couldn't move one leg at all the first few days, could barely stand, had to balance on her wings. The leg couldn't grip or resist if I pushed up. I let her sleep on the floor and made sure she could reach food and water, last week she could hop a few feet on one leg to get around.
Today she's starting to use her other leg, and even made it to porch on her coop.
A few years ago, I had a similar issue with a hen who's legs had over extended, she too healed in a few weeks, besides a minor limp.
So yes, they can heal. :]

Thanks. One week later and her swelling is gone and she’s justttt starting to use it, although it seems she still has a long way to go. Luckily there’s improvement though!

Back
Top Bottom