need help with cocidia

Lil'ChickFarm

Songster
8 Years
Jun 27, 2011
My neighbor has silkies and the got what appears to be cocidia. But she has treated with corid for over two weeks and now some are dying. We thought they were well for a week and I took two to my coop but not my others are at risk.
How .long does it take to treat this stuff? I put mine on it now but she has now lost two with treatment for over two weeks.

If the Corid is not working (do you know the dose being used?) then you may need to switch to a sulfa medication. There are some strains that have reportedly become resistant to amprolium (Corid). If a fecal test can be done by a vet that would confirm coccidia as the problem and identify the strain. If a vet is not an option you can try this:
https://www.foyspigeonsupplies.com/medications/coccidiosis/2508-aviocox-powder

We got this medication and treated these silkies and all seemed to be doing well for weeks. Then my friend and I traded and I got two of the buff silkies and one up and died today for no reason. I don't get this and am not sure I should keep the one that is left.

We got this medication and treated these silkies and all seemed to be doing well for weeks. Then my friend and I traded and I got two of the buff silkies and one up and died today for no reason. I don't get this and am not sure I should keep the one that is left.
Can you give us a little more clarification?

The Silkies got better at your friend's house/property with the Corid and/or Aviocox?
Then you took 2 of her Silkies to your house/property and 1 has died?
Is this correct?
How long did you have the Silkie before it died?

I'm sorry for your loss. It would be hard to know why the Silkie died without some testing/necropsy.

Even if you live next to each other, birds can encounter different strains of Coccidia. You and your flock may have a completely different "type" than what your neighbor has. There are 9 strains of Coccidia that affect chickens. I'm not saying that's what happened, but it's possible, especially if you had the Silkie for at least 5days.

How is the other Silkie acting?

ok she started with about 16 silkies and they started dying and she saw blood so she treated with corid. They kept dying so I posted here and someone recommended a different stuff so we got it. She took them to the vets and the stools still showed it but the vet said they might always be carriers. The vets said they were healthy. I took two and two days later one was dead. She will take it back as I dont want to harm my flock. Right now my flock is not in there as they are chicks and going into a small coop to grow up. I do have two big reds in there and those two came from a farm with cocidia which I treated with corid and cured them. This other flock has something wrong and as bad as I wanted a silkie, I am not sure I should keep it.

I see.

Coccidia is found everywhere, in soil, in the poop. Chickens build resistance to the strains which they encounter in their environment, but can have problems if they have another illness or condition that weakens them.
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poultry/coccidiosis/overview-of-coccidiosis-in-poultry

Do you have other Silkies that she will be might be friends with when she gets older?
It's probably going to be hard to introduce one chicken to your flock when the time comes.

When checking for coccidia in droppings the actual count is important. A bird that has built some immunity can be carrying some and not be sick. When the numbers get so large that they overwhelm the immune system, then the bird gets sick. Anytime a new bird is brought in there is a risk that it may bring in a previously unexposed strain to your existing flock, and that your flock/ground may contain a strain that the new bird has never been exposed to, and there is no immunity or resistance. Since her flock needed a sulfa drug to treat it, then that particular strain is probably going to require that med to treat in the future as it appears it may be resistant to amprolium. I would have that on hand since that strain may have already been transferred to your ground in droppings from those birds.
When I am raising chicks (I have dealt with coccidiosis outbreaks, and know it's in my soil) I start the very first week in the brooder giving them a large plant saucer of dirt from my yard (not from the chicken run) to dig, scratch, peck and dustbathe in. They make a mess, but love it. I gradually add in a bit of soil from the chicken run in small amounts. This gives their immune systems a chance to build resistance naturally, just like if they had a broody mama and were on the ground right away. It doesn't guarantee that you will not have an outbreak, I always have meds on hand in case, but it has greatly reduced my incidence. I've not had an outbreak in almost 4 years (knock on wood) with multiple batches of brooder raised chicks. Bringing in adult birds or older birds will be different, and you will just have to watch closely for any signs of illness, and treat if necessary.

ok not introducing one chicken. I currently have three and when my little ones get big, there is four of them. I had chickens 6 years and quit and now I am back. I introduced new ones at night.

Back
Top Bottom