need help with goat with frothy bloat- ***updated with questions on post #5***

yomama

Crowing
10 Years
Nov 6, 2009
outside, except when I'm inside
I have a Nubian/Boer wether that is about 6 years old. He is suffering from what I believe is "frothy" bloat. I noticed his symptoms this evening, but wasn't able to get to the feed store in time to get some Therabloat. I got a suggestion from a friend at the feed store to give him a really dark ale beer, to help reduce the froth, and to help with the bloat. Apparently this is something she has done with numerous goats to treat bloat, with good success. I was a little leery, but tried it. He didn't show any improvement an hour later, so I gave him some baking soda/water type paste. I'm kind of at a loss of what to do now. If I could, I would call the vet, but I just can't afford that right now. I've been massaging his left side, but no burping yet. He is still somewhat frothy, and very uncomfortable, lying down and moaning softly. He is off feed too. I will add that this is something that he goes through alot, though not to this extent. He always seems to get some sort of digestion upset, putting him off feed for a day or so. Just when I start getting scared, he is fine. My goats are on a pasture of basically grass and weeds, that right now is very marshy and very short. They are on this pasture all year, so nothing is new. They get Eastern Oregon grass hay twice daily, and a livestock blend of corn,barley and oats. He didn't have any cob today yet, and was fine this morning. I have still yet to figure out what sets his tummy off. Any suggestions for the frothy bloat? Right now, I'm basically just waiting to see if the baking soda (and beer) helps.

Last edited:
I think the beer would make him more bubbly, not less.

We use oil for frothy type bloat, olive, mineral, or any other cooking oil really.

Don't let him lie down, stand him with his front end up hill to aid in gas release.

When you go to the feed store tomorrow, get some lamb and kid paste, feed him one whole tube the first time. Then follow up with .5 of a tube at least once a week there after.

You could try a cud transplant from another goat as well. Wait until one lays down to chew, and quickly stick your finger in from the side of her mouth, grabbing the cud. IMMEDIATELY feed it to your sick guy. Sounds icky, but will get his bacteria back on track.

a chronic problem like this suggests his reumen is off.

We just went down to the barn, and Bo Bo had passed. It was so fast. I feel so horrible, because I feel like I caused it by giving the beer. I can't believe how fast that happened. This is so horrible. I still can't believe this has happened. He has had so many issues in the past, I really thought he would pull through this too. I just can't figure out why he even bloated.

a good way to prevent a bloat is offer baking soda at all times. as soon as you see signs of bloat give them a 50/50 mix of baking soda and water as a drench.

so sorry to hear about your goat.. its so hard when we loose them!

I still can't believe he is gone. I feel so responsible for this. The least I can do is make sure I am better prepared next time. I was wondering if someone could give me a good list of things to have on hand, in the horrible chance I might be in this situation again. I know to use baking soda, and I am going to go get some Therabloat to have on hand. What is the lamb and kid paste? While researching, I also saw mentions of C and D antitoxins given after treating for bloat. My goats get their annual CDT vaccine, but I believe this is something different. Also, anyone know why he would have such constant problems with bloating? His diet is never changed, nor were my goats ever turned out onto new pasture. None of my other goats have ever had issues, knock on wood, but it would be good to know what the heck is going on. Thanks.

Last edited:
Sorry this took me so long, I missed it. So sorry you lost you boy.

With goats, their metabolism is so fast, that often they are standing up eating when you go to bed, and dead the next morning from some unknown cause.

I kinda wonder if he had hardware disease? (Where they eat something metallic, that then tears up their digestive system)

Lamb and kid paste is a "probiotic" for goats, and sheep.

I am so sorry that you lost your goat
hugs.gif

I do have to say that unfortunately posts can get lost here in Other Pets & Livestock because there is such a variety of topics. If you or any other members have an emergency involving livestock I would highly encourage you to post over on our sister site, Backyard Herds.

I do have to disagree about the statement of leaving baking soda out all the time to prevent bloat. Leaving baking soda out free choice often causes goats to become mineral deficient because they eat the baking soda for it's salty taste instead of their minerals, so this causes a whole other realm of problems.

Here is a great thread on BYH recently started to discuss treatments for bloat.

Last edited:
My goat has this now. She has froth coming from her mouth. It is her left side if you look at her from the back end that is most bloated. She is also clenching her teeth. I have massaged her neck from the outside and that seemed to help, then I gave her the Heimlich Maneuver. The same technique used for choking people. The other websites said she could be choking and this would help get rid of any obstruction. She had eaten wet grass out of the pasture.

The next thing I have done is to use a 30 cc syringe filled with one tablespoon of baking soda and a bit of water. No needle. Slide in the edge of the mouth near the corner of the lip and gently pull head up and massage throat until she swallowed. This helped some.
Her eyes are not bugging out as much. Then I massaged her tummy like you do a puppy or a baby and chased her around the yard.
I always have those syringes around. They are so handy when you have animals.

I also pried her mouth open with a stick slid in horizontally, It seemed to help. The stick was then pulled out. She seemed to be able to breath better. She is walking around pooping and peeing the urine is clear. Now, I wait.

Okay it is somewhat better. Today is Sunday and the only vet clinic available charges two hundred dollars to walk through the door. I am not sure they treat goats.

The other miniture goat I have seems fine. She is running around and playing. Both of them were given rabies shots last year. I think I will have the whole family and barnyard get a tetanus shot this year. I hope my goat does not have tetanus. In people, tetanus shots last ten years. I wonder how long it last in animals?

I just gave her 30 cc or ml of mineral oil by mouth or orally to lubricate the stomach and break down the gases causing the bloat and chased her around the yard to get her digestive system moving and then massaged her stomach. She is breathing heavily now. She will get to rest for awhile and then I will check on her again.

My next step is a stomach tube I guess.

If she make it I will take some of the cud from the other goat and give it to her. She was hand raised and may not have the proper goat enzymes the other field goat does.

Any suggestions welcomed.

Once the animal is down the only measure that I have used is a trocar, a sharp hollow instrument used to pierce the the stomach wall and release the gas.
Bloat is a condition caused by potassium and magnesium being unavailable , generally in over rich pasture and clover. If she is still on her feet, drench with 10 ml of cooking oil, ( mineral oil strips the lining of the gut ). Then exercise while massaging the sides. This usually persuades the wind to be passed. As soon as it is relieved, give a desert spoon of dolomite mixed with acv which will help replace the missing magnesium and potassium .
The other most common cause of bloat is feeding kids a milk replacer containing ' tallow '. The tallow coats the inside of the alimentary canal rendering unable to absorb the nutrients.

Back
Top Bottom