Need help with incubation!

Scott214

Crowing
Oct 1, 2017
West Virginia
Around the 5th I will be receiving hatching eggs of silkies and black, blue, and splash copper marans. I have a janoel 12 incubator and I was wondering if anyone has any tips with this incubator and also tips on humidity. I see where people hardly use water and how people use a lot and both seems great but I’m stuck in the middle. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

My attempts at dry hatching in the JN-12 were disastrous.

Silkies like more humidity. Darker colored eggs need less.

Calibrate a second thermometer and hygrometer. My problem with the JN12 was that it’s way too hard to read gages from outside.

Put something under and around it to insulate because it fluctuates a lot.

I have a digital one in there with it running now but it’s at 37.5 C and it’s reading as 97 degrees F on the thermometer so I’m gonna try going up to 38 C

I had thermos in there reading 2 degrees higher or lower depending on where in the incubator I had them. Hot and cold spots.

I'd also try putting a doubled up ziplock filled with water under the lower tray for a heat sink.

I have a Janoel 96. For my first batch I just used the one tray (48 eggs).
I found the humidity to fluctuate and then it stabilized. When I candled my eggs I found the incubator to be dry, so the eggs must have regulated the humidity. However, with lockdown I made sure that there was enough water in.

I got the temperature right now it’s going from 99.5-100 F so that’s good hopefully it’s stable. And the humidity is at 40 atm is that good?

CALIBRATE! Calibrate your thermometers to 100*F, and check all areas of the incubator for temperature variation. Run that bator for a few days with it loaded with sealed water bottles to approximate the volume of eggs you'll be putting in it. Use your humidity to keep the aircells the right size according to embryonic development.

I keep my humidity 30 - 40% through the first 17 days.

Fan: 100*F, no fan: 102*F at top of eggs.

Read up on how to manage wonky air cells and shipped eggs.

Back
Top Bottom